Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it possible to use modern camera lenses on the Large Format cameras?

Re: Is it possible to use modern camera lenses on the Large Format cameras?

Modern small format lenses do work well on large format cameras when reverse mounted and used for micro photography. For example, a 50mm lens from a 35mm camera used thus on a 4x5 camera with 200mm bellows extension provides 4X magnification on the film with good illumination and sharpness to the corners. If that lens works well when focused at 200mm on its original camera, it will work well when used as described. The effective f/number will be much smaller, though. This should be measured from the front of the camera, not calculated, as it may be different than expected. Depth of field will be very small. Stopping down more than a few stops to improve this may quickly limit sharpness due to diffraction.

I think the OP maybe talking about those modern lenses that are used for medium format tech camera, they have lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider, and i think those are large format lenses but digital, but who knows, maybe those lenses have no much image coverage so they are not good enough for analogue LF cameras with movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I think the OP maybe talking about those modern lenses that are used for medium format tech camera, they have lenses from Rodenstock and Schneider, and i think those are large format lenses but digital, but who knows, maybe those lenses have no much image coverage so they are not good enough for analogue LF cameras with movements.
    KEH?? Which "Modern Nikkor Lenses" owned by the original poster (read the original post) are being made by Rodenstock and Schneider ??!!

there are many lense which is avaliable easy in market u can adjust into them easily

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    No. None.

In my experience, the smaller the aperture the less effect mechanical vignetting has. My paperweight of a broken 90/8 Super Angulon agrees with me.
    Man, your Super Angulon is good. Mine only speaks German.

The point is especially true with the Super Angulon, which has a design that projects a round aperture at the extremes of coverage to a much greater extent than normal lenses.

Modern-era lenses are more apt to be designed with a sharp barrel cutoff rather than letting the image just fade out.

To the OP: a 300mm lens for your Nikon makes a 2-inch(ish) image circle when focused at infinity. A 300mm lens for a large-format camera is more like 15 or 20 inches, depending on design. If you just look at the illuminated part, however, the elements of the scene will be nearly identical. You just won't see as much of the scene with the Nikon lens.

Rick "in case we are answering the wrong question" Denney

Sinar made lens boards which would mount Olympus 35mm lenses and boards which would mount Nikon 35mm lenses.

The Olympus 35mm-80mm zoom was even produced with Sinar labels. I believe they may have been promoting this for digital backs but don't remember for certain.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by nagairaj View Post
    I was only trying to see what I can do with these excellent Nikkor lenses, some kind of alternate use.. If something interesting turns up, I will post it here. Thanks once again
    Nikkor lenses work great on Nikon 35 mm and Nikon digital cameras. To try to use them on large format just doesn't make sense, but hey, people do dumb things all the time..........