Thread: 4X5 processing

4X5 processing

Recently I saw advertised a gadget (plastic I think) for holding 4 sheets of film in the bottom of an 8x10 tray for processing - especially I think for PMK to keep hands out. I can't remember where I saw the ad. Can someone out there help?

4X5 processing

Why the need for another new gadget?

I am curious why people seem to have abandoned the simple processing technique of film hangers in an open tank. I have been useing this technique for both 4x5 and 8x10 for many years and always perfect negatives.

4X5 processing

Richard

Perhaps this was a similar device: http://www.summitek.com/cradle.html This does 6 sheets in an 11X14 tray. If you're interested, drop me a line off list.

4X5 processing

Also available from Photograpy Formulary. 6-4x5 in 11x14 tray, or 4-5x7 in 16x20.

Kreig: I think that hangers in tanks are good if you have a large volume of developing, but for smaller runs trays are still the best way (or at least the most convenient, especially if you're doing DBI).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

4X5 processing

film hangers in an open tank would be another new gadget...

4X5 processing

Make your own. http://tinyurl.com/cy45a
    Alec

4X5 processing

I had a thought the other day when I was developing some film in my combo tank. I can develop 6 sheets of film in it but I had 8 pieces to develope. So I mixed up two baches of developer and developed the film. My question is why could't I save the developer from the first 4 pieces and develop the second batch of film. If we can develop several pieces in an open tray then why do we have to use a new batch when we develope more that one tank of film. Thanks James

4X5 processing

James, when I have a large number of 4x5 sheets to develop, I regularly re-use the same developer (in tanks, HC110 Dil.E) for up to three runs of 6 negatives each. The only thing to keep an eye on is the temperature of the developer - depending on your starting temp. it may rise over the duration of the development session.

I can't speak for other developers, but for HC110, it has an amazing capacity. If you're only doing 8 sheets, I wouldn't worry about it - you should be fine reusing the developer for the second batch.

4X5 processing

Nigel yer killin me here.

4X5 processing

Tanks and hangers have for many years been a source of streaking and uneven development unless everything, especially the phase of the moon, is just right. Also, unless one has an assortment of various size tanks, doing two or three sheets of film uses a lot of developer. I have shuffled film in a tray for 30+ years but I keep reading that PMK is not good stuff for the skin (my central nervous system and liver are already gone) so this gadget sounded like a good way to keep my hands out (gloves are not wonderful) and avoid scratches etc. And anyway, gadgets are fun! I just wonder why there is always someone who doesn't have an answer to a question but nevertheless can't resist a smart-ass remark. Oh well.