Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting ready for my first picture, some questions on exposure and such

Re: Getting ready for my first picture, some questions on exposure and such

Quote Originally Posted by Merijn View Post

• Is it really as simple as spot metering the most important areas of the composition and deriving a suitably weighted average?

To learn how a film works I'd suggest to use first a film SLR. With 135 you can bracket exposures to see the difference. With LF grain will be smaller and quality higher, but tonality should match.

With negative film, if a doubt, better to overexpose a bit. With slides (Provia) do the counter.

If you explore your field of view with a spot meter (with a DSLR or SLR) you'll find the good expositions for shadows and illuminated areas.

For portrait (caucasian skin) you can expose in a way that face area illuminated by key light are at +1 or +1.5.

In general important shadow areas can be at -2, but -3 it is not very good, depending on used film. Also important illuminated areas can be at +2, but at +3 it is worse.

Also it depends on the developer you use, a full speed developer like Xtol (or D-76) wants the standard exposure, other developers need in general 1/3 stop to 1 stop more.

With sheets you can make a special development for the particular conditions of each shot, this is very powerful:

You can place shadows at -2 and lights at +5, then you expose for the shadows at -2, but lights will be burnt. Then you develop for the lights to compensate that overexposure "making a N-3 development", with a shorter development time like if a 400 ISO film was shot at ISO 50. In this way you control a scene with 7 stops of dynamic range.

This is the basic method of the Zone System, beyond this there are additional techniques: special developers, stand development, and a long list of etc, and BTZS.

To measure with a DSLR with spot mode just use a prime lens like Nikon 50mm f/1.8D, if you use a zoom the reading won't match by perhaps 1/2 stop, because zooms have a lot glass groups and deliver less light to the DSLR sensor with same indicated aperture. A prime 50mm lens will match more the exposure of a LF lens.

Remember that when you focus near with a view camera you have to compensate exposure. As you extend bellows the projected light cone has a wider base, projected circle is bigger, and so photons are spread in a larger surface, so you need to correct for it, increasing exposure.

A final advice, at beginning just load a cheap Nikon F80 with same film you are using for sheets and make a bracketing -1 ,+1 then you can learn what you like the more.

Regards.

Pere,

What large format camera(s) do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Pere,

What large format camera(s) do you use?
    Camera is not the most important but, answering you, I've a Sinar Norma 4x5 that I love a lot.

And then I use CAMBO, the 4x5, the 5x7 and the 8x10.

This is the 8x10 and the 4x5 attached to learn macro https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...posted-public/
    Last edited by Pere Casals; 11-Aug-2016 at 06:59.