Thread: Backpacks for Technika and tripod

Backpacks for Technika and tripod

Hi,

I want to travel on airplanes, including nasty little commuter jets, with my 4x5 Technika IV, two lenses in addition to the one in the camera, and film and minor accessories. I want to be able to attach a tripod to the pack once I get away from the airport, and I want to do it with a center attachment if possible. Probably my old Leitz tilt-all or something else that will hold a Technika but not be too big. My objective is to not ever have to check or cabin check, so it really needs to fit under seat, plus I am not small, so there needs to be some room for my feet - meaning I do not want a pack that can do double duty for 8x10.:-) All weather would be nice, and weight does not matter - I am not going to hike in the mountains, just a mile or two off the road.

I use a Lowe-Pro Compu-Trekker AW backpack for my T4, two lenses in lenswraps, Readyload holder and 40 sheets in a Gnass Gear case, a D70 with two lenses, a spotmeter and 15-inch laptop, plus a book and travel necessities. It holds a medium sized tripod, isn't too expensive, and has enough padding that I would feel safe checking it through (sans D70 and laptop) because the Technika could handle it. It fits under airline seats. The non-computer case Mico-Trekker is even smaller.

For 3x the money, the nicest airline carryon backpack is made by http://thinktankphoto.com/ but I think it is silly to spend $400 plus for a carry on.

Eric Biggerstaff

Ed,

Well, you should get a lot of opinions on this one.

Until recently I carried a Lowe Pro Super Treker which is way to big for what you describe. I have also had Lowe Pro Photo Trekker, F64, Tamrac and Crumpler. All were good, but I was still not happy.

What I finally decided do was get the Gnass Gear(www.gnassgear.com) lens holder, camera pouch and film holder pouch. These are very well made and I really like them. What this set up does is allow me to use a variety of day packs, back packs or shoulder bags depending on where I am going. Then I add a nice Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and the entire system is light weight and easy to transport.

The nice thing about this set up is that by having serperate padded bags that can be removed I can then shop for a daypack that is the size and has the features that I want. There are many of these out there but check out www.rei.com or www.mountaingear.com as they have several packs to choose from.

Just an idea! :-) Have a nice trip.

http://www.ericbiggerstaff.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Your post sounds like one that I could have written. My best advice is to buy a carrying case for the Tiltall and check it. It's virtually indestructible and too big and not valuable enough for anyone to steal it. I ended up with a Domke F-2 for the camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

These days, you always have to check something. If you have cams for your Tech IV that look like blades and cable releases that look like syringes under the X-ray, it's easiest to check them. Often, you'll be asked to check the tripod. I check my tripod in a medium sized Tenba TTP case, which is big enough for a Tiltall and your clothing rolled up or a much larger tripod.

William D. Lester

I've struggled with the same question for a while. Last month I was able to find a Lowe Pro Trim Trekker (now discontinued) which has a bottom slide out drawer, virtually the same size as my Gnass lens case. It holds 3 lenses perfectly. The upper portion holds my Technika V in the centre, my spotmeter beside it and 5 sheet film holders on the other side of the camera. The front pocket holds my focusing loupe, Linhof finder, etc. There are straps for a tripod which I have not used yet. I use a Gitzo 1228 carbon fibre which is relatively light weight and so far just carry it. The bag has a shoulder harness system which stows away nicely when not required as well as a removeable shoulder strap and a hand hold strap. The bag is compact for underseat airline stowage and is so far the absoluty the most comfortable bag to work out of that I've come across so far. And I've tried a lot. There's no such thing as the perfect camera bag and I've probably spent the price of the camera over the years trying to find it. Every year I get older, I want to carry less and in a more compact package. Ask me in 6 or 8 months and I'll give you an update on whether I still think this is my best solution so far. Good luck.

> These days, you always have to check something.

Right, I will check the tripod, I just want to be able to attach it to the case when I am hiking with it.