Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling international with 8x10 film

Re: Traveling international with 8x10 film

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I think you will need to keep enough film on hand to last a couple of outings if you can't reliably get what you want on short notice for one adventure.

Tmax 400 rollfilm dries very flat for me. Might be my slightly humid location not allowing it to get super dry.
    Yea, I'm planning to start ordering it bulk but its a lot to spend up front for the amount I need. I have found film curl depends on humidity and water temp during the wash. It never drys perfectly flat like I need for my holders but after a few weeks in plastic they are perfect. Then sometimes I get a few rolls that for whatever reason curl like mad and take 2 months. Tmax has been the best of all the films I have tried, good thick base i think helps it. Tri-x was a taco for a month.
    Ryan Mills

Another thought is to over-buy film this time, and keep excess in your Belgian fridge.
    When you return, you'll have film ready to use, one less hassle to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Another thought is to over-buy film this time, and keep excess in your Belgian fridge.
    When you return, you'll have film ready to use, one less hassle to deal with.
    Once I get the scanner i'm just going to start stock piling it in a freezer. Hard to say how long they will keep making it. Plus with the prices going up every year I might even save a little money. But I know myself well enough to know that if I have film, im going to shoot it. So will see how that works out
    Ryan Mills

When I got my Global Entry card I got both TSA Pre and Global Entry - you're correct that all you have to do is enter your known Traveler number in your airline profile (or when you buy a ticket) and you will get TSA Pre. Note - even though you're registered there may be times when you're randomly chosen to NOT get it for a given flight. I've flown dozens of times domestically and a couple internationally in the last year or two and always got TSA-Pre.

My wife and I got our Global Entry appointments within a few days, but then again we live in Tucson, where nobody but us (and the rattlesnakes) seem to want to be in the Summer.

Sounds like you really like tri-x, but HP5 comes in 25 sheet boxes that are the same size as the Kodak 10 sheet boxes....

And I bet you could get HP5 in Belgium fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    Just a quick guide of sorts for anyone coming into 8x10 who travels. I will update how it all worked out after my trip.
    It's worth noting I only have 260 sheets but its around ~20 pounds. With laptops, cameras, etc im hauling around 60-70 pounds on the plane. Towards the end of a 20+ hour flight it feels like 120 pounds.
    What airline lets you carry on a bag of that size, surely it would either breach the HxWxL requirement or the max. weight? Impressive writeup in any case, thanks for sharing it!

Quote Originally Posted by unityofsaints View Post
    What airline lets you carry on a bag of that size, surely it would either breach the HxWxL requirement or the max. weight? Impressive writeup in any case, thanks for sharing it!
    I fly mostly with Delta, it all falls within the size limits. The Lowepro backpack is exactly the max size allowed for carry on and the laptop bag falls under the personal item since it can fit under the seat. But to be honest I always put it overhead and its never been an issue. It fits standing up right next to my backpack and really does not take up much space. Now weight, if there is a limit I am likely over. The European trips I carry a lot of 120 as well that weighs almost as much as the 8x10. I think im convertive in guessing the weight. But again I have never had a flight attendent ever ask or look twice. The weight is a good work out to get ready to haul the 8x10 up and down all the crazy places I take it

I will post a picture when I pack later this week. No extra space but it all fits nicely.
    Ryan Mills

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    Why so salty? Are you 12? Doing things my way? im not doing anything. This post was just my idea about dealing with and traveling cheaply with a lot of 8x10. Global entry or TSAPre means nothing to any of it. I'm laughing at you because you're arguing semantics about something that's not even related to the original post. And even then your changing it to say exactly what I said. "However most of the time you will automatically get it added to your boarding pass if you have a KTN. But direct from a customs agent you will likely get it more offten if you have TSApre. Now if you have global and you get it every time by all means, dont get pre. I dont care either way but the fact remains and was the orginal point. You dont get TSA pre automaticly. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "A distinction without a difference. Excatly what im trying to figure out. So why so salty? I might ask you why so ignornt? Good day.
    I'm not sure what's more impressive, the dedication to film that would drive a man to regularly tackle TSA with large volumes of 8x10, or the patience to argue regulatory meta ad nauseum on apug. Congrats on your 8x10 resolve. It's laudable that you use it despite the logistical challenges. I look forward to your future posts on getting 16x20 ambrotypes into the overhead compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I'm not sure what's more impressive, the dedication to film that would drive a man to regularly tackle TSA with large volumes of 8x10, or the patience to argue regulatory meta ad nauseum on apug. Congrats on your 8x10 resolve. It's laudable that you use it despite the logistical challenges. I look forward to your future posts on getting 16x20 ambrotypes into the overhead compartment.
    Thank you Traveling with 16x20 ambrotypes is planned for next year. I will let you know how it works out!
    Ryan Mills

Just wait til you drive between Canada and the US a few times and hit the border patrol stations on a day when the guys are pissed at something. They can hold you up for hours, completely dismantle your vehicle and open everything you have packed and dump it out. Us and Canadian border types both do this on occasion.