Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What lab services are most needed?

Re: What lab services are most needed?

Digital negs is all I would need.

With your corrections for each process from my straight scan or digital sensor capture is an important option.

However this caveat. If I like my alt prints from your digital negs, I may roll my own one day...

I do think Jody is correct and we may be on the edge of a trend, Hipsters around here are deep into the 50's in every way. Why not film, alt prints and more.

The Nashville Cat that recently wanted to print huge is a harbinger.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    What retail items do you think are not well found in our current market?
    You could take over Prazio's niche with drum scanning supplies. Interesting that they still list this stuff on their website, when they haven't sold it in many years now. At least they sent me a paper announcement that they were discontinuing their scanning supplies business years ago.

Prazio was the NA importer of SDS scanning fluid, drum cleaner, film cleaner, anti-static spray, scanner wipes, etc. All first class stuff.

That said, I realize that you probably aren't interested in scanning. But you did ask, and that's one thing that's missing from the high end photography market these days. We scanners are caught between Kami, which many are afraid of, and Lumina which seems like an incomplete system.

Just a thought.

Bruce Watson

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    So, a service that could accept ten to twenty film holders (4x5 most often, sometimes 8x10), process the film (B&W always with Rodinal 1:25) and reload the holders would be welcome.
    When I started shooting 4x5 in the 90s, before discovering Internet resources such as this, the professional lab that developed my film loaded my holders as a routine service. I brought them boxes of film and my holders, I actually just asked if they could please tell me how to load, and they just took the lot and did it for me. Of course I gave them many thousands of dollars of business over a period of 2-3 years, as they did my color printing as well.

At Gamma in Chicago they offer film holder Unloading for $1.50 per. Here's that price list. http://gammaimaging.com/darkroom-pri...sing/e-6_c-41/
    Tin Can

I'll confirm what others have said about digital negs. For me getting a larger negative from my 4x5 so I can make an 11x14 or 16x20 contact print on Lodima paper would be great.

digital negs here too as I'm so lame with computers!!
    best,peter

We are working on this exactly- I have sample of Lodima from Micheal to test for this exact process.

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    I'll confirm what others have said about digital negs. For me getting a larger negative from my 4x5 so I can make an 11x14 or 16x20 contact print on Lodima paper would be great.

Bob, I think the main potential growth with film based imaging will be the youth or entry level market... Film cameras of all sorts are prized and a "hardcore" mentality about film is growing...

But it seems to me that the cameras have been made, film is being made, there is an desire, but what has been disappearing has been the resources and learning to do the process... Someone can shoot a roll of film through, let's say a plastic camera, they can't just go to a camera store film counter or drug store for developing and prints, and many don't (or can't) have a darkroom, so that roll will sit unprocessed... (Starting-up a darkroom now would be daunting if someone is entry level...) It takes commitment, resources, space, knowledge, experience, cash, etc, so many could be lost in the process, so hopefully this "revival" does not merely become a fad for many...

I think that looking carefully at the resources that that market would need is the first step... Pros, LF'ers, etc have learned to take care of most of their own needs (but also require some services), but the biggest need is for what the entry market needs...

Steve K

how about a true optical-only automated C41 line that generates 4x6" prints from 35mm or 120? Most are scan-based nowadays, and suck as a result. The old purely optical minilab machines from Noritsu and others were miles better than current offerings. Sometimes it's nice to just get a quick throughput of 4x6 prints, say like for a wedding or something, no scanning needed.

A link led me to Cape Fear website, and I learned.

They offer:

"Printed Transparency: $45.00 plus $8.00 for S&H in THE US.
    Several images can be ganged up on one file. Images sent seperately will be billed as a separate film.
    • Make sure to leave room for adding safe edges or add them to your file with a .3" black border around your image.
    • Don't forget to flip your image horizontally so it wll print from the gravure plate in the correct orientation.

File requirements:
    Max Printable area is 12.5 x 16.5"
    360 dpi grayscale TIFF
    Image must be flattened, no layers
    Image must be flipped horizontal for correct printing orientation
    Files can be sent via e-mail, please send no more than 2 per e-mail.
    Please include mailing address and telephone number so we can call you about credit card payment.

If you would like to learn more about how to make digital gravure positives with QTR or Halftones for Puretch, you should consider a phone consultation. "
    Tin Can