Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: long time listener, first time caller

long time listener, first time caller

Hi there,

The glue is 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (yellow) #051135 - 08001. The black version is not as strong.

Have fun finding leather in the right thickness, I have given up on that one. I will try a material called 'Sunbrella' to see how it works out.

Good luck with it.

Where to get the leather?

A tannery. Call up some taxidermists in your area and find out who is doing their hide tanning. Many do it themselves. I raise Axis deer and deer hide would make excellent bellows material. I've sent some off to be tanned with the hair on for furniture. Don't recall where I sent them off hand. Tandy Corp. sells the chemicals to do your own tanning and I know some taxidermists do theier own hide tanning. It shouldn't be that hard to track down a tannery that would do a hide to your specs.

Hi James,

I have re-covered several old bellows in the last few years and have learned a few things you should know in selecting the bellows material. First is that it has to be both thin enough and large enough for the bellows you are making or re-covering. I found that with the leather sources I checked with, it was getting pretty difficult in getting what I wanted. It was also getting pretty expensive - to the point where it might make more sense getting one professionally done. Note that I have looked at other fabric stores and not found this material anywhere else.

However, I found an inexpensive material at Hancock fabricks that works pretty well. I've done bellows from 4 x 5's up to an 8 x 10 Kodak 2D. The material is an imitation leather type plastic coating on top of a thin fabric backing. I found it in the part of the store that has stuff like naugahyde and imitation leather rolls. It costs about $15 per yard for a roll that is 60" wide. The first stuff I found about five years ago in their San Jose, CA store, and was dark brown (like died leather). The second stuff I found in their Los Angeles store, and was light brown (like natural leather). You can also get other colors and even have flowers on it (that didn't really appeal to me).

Don't make the mistake and get the thicker stuff - I learned the hard way. The material is something like a Polyethylene coating on thin fabrick. I have used this very successfully in re-using the old black fabrick backing and bellows stays, and just gluing this new material on top. I have also not had any problems with the bellows being too thick when folded up.

If you want to go this route and you (or anyone else) want a sample, send me your mailing address and I'll send you a piece.

Good Luck

Hi James I have had success with makeing large format bellows for my homemade 10x12 antique view camera .In New zealand I am limited with what materials to use,got some advice from an australian bellows maker.He uses buckrim,it s book covering material & is make in the uk costs $18 a meter.It comes in a large range of colours ,I use black and marron.It has a kind of canvas look which some old cameras used.I use manilla folder card for the strips plus a thin black cotton for the inside of the bellows . also you must use spray can contact glue for all the glueing of your bellows. Hope this helps .Regards Derek Finlay

Re: long time listener, first time caller

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    James.
    I envy you as a master carftsman since you'll soon manufacture your own line of view or field cameras to the best standards ;-)
    Living in Europe I would of course recommend Camera Bellows from Birmingham, the UK, but I'm sure there is an address in the Americas.

www.camerabellows.com

New URL: http://jongrepstad.com/

My camera builders page will be available by the end of October.

Jon Grepstad

Some other ideas
    - The bellows supplied for some chinese-made 4x5 wooden field cameras is available as a spare part and is very affordable.
    - "system" large format cameras can attach/detach the bellows without any tool. You can look for a Sinar bellows or another brand of monorail view cameras.

There exist a rich litterature on the Internet about home building large format cameras.
    A good starting point in the Northern part of the Old World but readily accessible here :
    home.online.no/~gjon