Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you make yourself a 11x14 view camera bellow?

Can you make yourself a 11x14 view camera bellow?

I am currently restoring a 11x14 Improved Seneca view camera and need a new bellow. I found this video on YOUTUBE. Is it feasible to make youself a 11x14 bellow? Please share your bellow making experience. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Pmxu4PMio

Re: Can you make yourself a 11x14 view camera bellow?

It's not that hard, but it does take a fair amount of time. I made one from scratch (similar to the video) for my 8 x 20 camera. One thing you might want to consider is that if the old bellows has at least one side that is still in decent shape, you might be able to salvage it and only replace the fabric on one side (I've did that on my 8 x 10). That saves a huge amount of time.

Check the new thread on this forum on restoring a Makina bellows.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The old bellow was not usable anymore. A new bellow is definitely needed. What fabric did you use for your 8x20 camera bellow, blackout curtains? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    It's not that hard, but it does take a fair amount of time. I made one from scratch (similar to the video) for my 8 x 20 camera. One thing you might want to consider is that if the old bellows has at least one side that is still in decent shape, you might be able to salvage it and only replace the fabric on one side (I've did that on my 8 x 10). That saves a huge amount of time.

Okay, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Check the new thread on this forum on restoring a Makina bellows.

I wrote a parametric unfolding program that generates a lasercut template for chamfered bellows. The input parameters are front and back X and Y dimensions, maximum extension, corner chamfer dimension, number of pleats (important for the minimum thickness based on the material used). The blue lines are score lines if you don't leave a gap for the fold, but it's better to leave a gap for the thickness of material (red offset cut lines). I have access to a large format lasercut machine at work so this saved a LOT of time. My first bellows didn't turn out too successful though, the card stock and bellows material were to thick to fold and didn't quite fit into the space of the folded camera.. I can help you with the 1:1 PDF template file which you can print on a big plotter or in pieces, the making part is a little tedious and for 11x14 size you will need a fairly large working area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bellows.jpg   bellows2.jpg  

I think this is my need at the first step. I thought I could not do it without computer-assistant drawing. Will do a careful measurement tonight and send you a PM with dimensions. Where can I print it?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Suryo View Post
    I wrote a parametric unfolding program that generates a lasercut template for chamfered bellows. The input parameters are front and back X and Y dimensions, maximum extension, corner chamfer dimension, number of pleats (important for the minimum thickness based on the material used). The blue lines are score lines if you don't leave a gap for the fold, but it's better to leave a gap for the thickness of material (red offset cut lines). I have access to a large format lasercut machine at work so this saved a LOT of time. My first bellows didn't turn out too successful though, the card stock and bellows material were to thick to fold and didn't quite fit into the space of the folded camera.. I can help you with the 1:1 PDF template file which you can print on a big plotter or in pieces, the making part is a little tedious and for 11x14 size you will need a fairly large working area.

Any graphics/print shop with a large format plotter could do it. A large flatbed printer that can print directly on the card stock will be even better. I can't tell what the overall print size will be until I input the parameters and you can print it in multiple pieces. The program unfolds the four sides automatically but I have to manually copy the first side again because you need some overlapping to glue the ends together.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    The old bellow was not usable anymore. A new bellow is definitely needed. What fabric did you use for your 8x20 camera bellow, blackout curtains? Thanks!
    Inside of the bellows was drapery liner material. I couldn't find the black color so used white and just painted it flat black. Outside was very thin black egyptian cotton material I found at Joann's Fabrics - pretty inexpensive and worked very well.

Thanks for your update. I found nylon fabric (black 2 layer GORE TEX nylon) from auction site and got a sample. Flash light test in darkroom showed one layer did not pass the test, two layers seemed okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Inside of the bellows was drapery liner material. I couldn't find the black color so used white and just painted it flat black. Outside was very thin black egyptian cotton material I found at Joann's Fabrics - pretty inexpensive and worked very well.