Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 4x5 camera for the Fuji 450-C lens?

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

What 4x5 camera for the Fuji 450-C lens?

After obtainng a Fujinon 450-C recently, I discovered that it will not work with my current Ebony RW45 or the new Arca Swiss field camera I am considering buying, without buying expensive or bulky additional accessories. I noticed it will work on the Canham 45-dlc, which had quite a long bellows . I want to continue using lighter weight field cameras for landscapes and hiking trips. Is there some solution I haven't found yet, besides the Canham?

Shen Hao 5x7 with the 4x5 back. Not the lightest but 600mm bellows. I'm not sure what the Canham 4x5 costs but it's likely more then the Shen Hao. It comes with an adapter for Linhof boards so that might be something to consider.

At 8.8 lbs, many people wouldn't put the 5x7 Shen Hao in the "lightweight" category, but it's probably typical for a 5x7 woodie.

I'd try the Ebony SV45Ti at 4.6 lbs. One of the Wisners will also probably work??

Steve

You need a camera with more than 19" of bellows extension capability. 24" would allow you to focus closer than infinity which is about 180" from the camera position with this lens.

Canham and Wisner come to mind. If you are going to buy a Wisner I strongly recommend ordering it from a store that already has one in stock.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Eric Biggerstaff

Would extension tube lensboards give the required extension?

I know you can get them from Ebony.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

So, you were the lucky guy to win it. I have both a 4x5 and a 8x10 with sufficient draw to use it so if you just hand it over to me...

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I use my 450 C on a 4X5 Wisner Technical Field- plenty of bellows draw.
    Brian Vuillemenot

The Fujinon 450C also works very well on my lightweight Phillips 4x5.

You may have a conumdrum - lightweight camera and the 450 lens. However, the Zone VI Ultralight comes to mind. Not the most stable of cameras, but definitely light and has over 20" bellows draw. Certainly less expensive than the DLC mentioned. Haven't tried mine with such a long lens yet, but it seems workable.

Jeffrey,

No camera is perfect, but the Canham DLC is a good match for the 450mm Fujinon C. When I had my Canham, I used it with lenses from 75mm (on a Toyo recessed board) through 450mm with the standard bellows. Here's a shot I took with my Canham and the 450mm Fujinon C:

As I had to carry my camera gear several miles on cross country skis (and I'm not an accomplished skier) to get that shot, I would not have carried anything heavier than the Canham and the 450mm Fujinon C. In fact, until I got the 450mm C, I used to regulary leave my 360mm/500mm Nikkor T-ED behind when doing long, strenous hikes.

The Linhof Technikardan TK45S also handles the 450mm Fujinon C with no added accessoires. However, it requires a bag bellows for wide angle use. It also weighs almost three pounds more than the Canham.

I am currently using an ARCA-SWISS F-Line. If you REALLY push it, you can JUST hit infinity focus with the 450 C, the standard bellows and the 30cm telescoping optical bench, but this is really pushing the bellows beyond their intended limit. And, it leaves you no room for focusing closer than infinity and the bellows are stretched so tight you can't really use any camera movements. It might work for that once in a lifetime shot, but I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis. ARCA-SWISS does, of course, offer longer bellows, extension rails, etc. for use with longer lenses, but that adds cost, weight and bulk to a system that's already heavier, bulkier and more expensive than the Canham.

I believe all of the Wisner 4x5 models have enough bellows extension to focus the 450mm Fujinon C at infinity (ftf = 425.3mm = 16¾"). My only experience is with the Wisner Technical Field, which weighs about 2 lbs. more than the Canham and requires a bag bellows for wide angle lenses. Wisner has several newer models that are lighter, including his Flight that has 19" of bellows extension and is probably the lightest camera made that can focus the 450mm C.

Kerry