Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grayscale Gamma 2.2 & QTR

Grayscale Gamma 2.2 & QTR

I've been using Corel PSP X8 for photo editing and am starting to set up to use Roy Harrington's QTR and the piezography inkset. My understanding is that QTR expects a grayscale Gamma 2.2 TIFF but PSP X8 doesn't have a selection for greyscale Gamma like Photoshop does. It could be that the default for PSPX8 (Windows version) is 2.2 but their support desk couldn't tell me.

I'm okay just going ahead and seeing how it works out but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or what others were using. Is there editing software out there (other than Photoshop) that lets me select the grayscale Gamma to work in and export a TIFF?

Thanks for any help
    Dave

Re: Grayscale Gamma 2.2 & QTR

Dave,

I am not sure if you are using the QTR Gui, but you can set gamma in the Gui. For windows I use 1.8, but Mac users use 2.2. You can go to the Yahoo users group and ask that question. You can also open the text QTR profile and set the gray gamma level.

Mike

Thanks for the response Mike. I'm just getting into this and not very familiar with QTR yet so that's good to know. I'm thinking about the editing I'm doing before I print it out through QTR. I'd like to make sure that I'm working in the same gray gamma that QTR is going to use but so far I haven't found an editing package other than Photoshop that lets me set it. As I mentioned, the folks I spoke with at Corel couldn't tell me what their default is. Maybe I'm missing something though. Does everybody use Photoshop or do they just accept the output from the package they're using?

Regards
    Dave

Dave I think you should get Photoshop, when you start making more complex negatives down the road this program is tailor made for this application. There is a learning curve but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DHodson View Post
    Thanks for the response Mike. I'm just getting into this and not very familiar with QTR yet so that's good to know. I'm thinking about the editing I'm doing before I print it out through QTR. I'd like to make sure that I'm working in the same gray gamma that QTR is going to use but so far I haven't found an editing package other than Photoshop that lets me set it. As I mentioned, the folks I spoke with at Corel couldn't tell me what their default is. Maybe I'm missing something though. Does everybody use Photoshop or do they just accept the output from the package they're using?

Regards
    Dave

Hi Bob

I'm beginning to think you're right. So far it seems Photoshop is the only editing software that lets me select the grayscale gamma. If there is another, nobody has mentioned it.

Thanks
    Dave

PSP doesn't have a working space for greyscale. You can desaturate to grey but I don't think you can use greyscale profiles. I could be wrong about that but If you can't see one then one wasn't supplied. If you can find the profile somewhere else you can just drop it into your profiles folder in the PSP instal directory but I don't think you'll be able to see/use it in PSP.

Windows uses gamma of 2.2

I recommend using Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom for working with Piezography and QuadtoneRIP for various reasons but one being full support for the gamma 2.2 workflow.

Regards,
    Walker
    R&D of Piezography @ IJM
    ------------------
    Walker Blackwell

Dave,

I also recommend getting PS - you can still get version CS6.

Windows was originally designed (default) for gamma 1.8, but it does not matter anymore. What is important is that your workspace/screen calibration match what you set up for PS and QTR.

Mike

Isn't it the other way around? Didn't Apple used 1.8 for a long time, and Windows was 2.2?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know