Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Negative systems-Burkholder vs. Precision

Digital Negative systems-Burkholder vs. Precision

Is anyone using the Precision Digital Negative system for contact printing? (apart from Sandy who has answered a few questions already).

I'm somewhat familiar with the Burkholder system and wondering how the Precision system compares/differs?

Also, what are the basics of how the system works? (it's a little hard to figure from the website) - i.e. what makes it different from/better than (or not...) thanthe Burkholder system?

Probably going to be for 11x14ish negs for printing on silver type papers
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

The end result for the systems is the same (I've used both), but it's the manner in which you get there which is different. Mark's Precision system forces you to create your own curves while Burkholder's system provides you with starter curves and the knowledge to alter them.

For what it's worth, I had Burkholder's first and then moved over to Precision which is what I am still using today--I just wanted explicit instructions on how to create your own curves from scratch, which is what the Precision system does.

Clay

They both work very well. However, there are significant intellectual property rights differences between the systems. The licensing agreement for PDN is very restrictive, and would prevent you from (for instance) creating a negative for someone else to use - say in a workshop setting. It is not that hard to do all of this on your own, either. View Camera magazine had an article about a year ago with a method for making digi-negs for silver printing, for instance.

I've used most of the 'workflows' out there and they all work depending on your own criteria. I find them fine for 'alt processes' but question the results for silver printing. An 'in camera' film neg will still yield a 'smoother' print.

For added info also check out:

http://www.zianet.com/jkschreiber/articles/1280PyroDigiNegs.html

http://www.bradhinkel.com/Correction%20Curves%20for%20Digital%20Negatives.htm

Disclaimer I have not used the precision method, however IMHO Jeremy is not totally correct, Dan does give most of the info in order to create your own custom curve. I had to do it for my Epson C84 as Dan does not have curves for it (yep it's a cheap printer but uses pigments @2 picoliteres). Also of note that Dan states that Epson lists the print quality for worst to best in the pull down and that is no longer true at least it's changed for the C84. As far as silver printing I have had good results but will wait for Epson's R technology to reach the large format printers to test the 1.5 picoliters droplet size as it may make an even better print :-)

Bob's right, Dan does provide you with the info to create your own curve, but Mark's system is a step-by-step guide to do exactly this. Since the property rights don't affect me and I have very limited time Mark's system was better for me.

Coming from the digital world and moving into film, I was very excited at the prospects of having the kind of control photoshop gives you in order to produce the "perfect print." I bought the Dan Burkholder book and the PDN system. I happen to like the control the PDN system gives you. However, sorry to burst your bubble, if you want this for Silver printing, you might not be pleased. I wasn't. It's good, but, it ain't like the real thing. Afterall, if I'm going to travel 600 miles round trip, get up at 5:00AM, hike to my destination, pay for the hotel room, carefully process my film, etc. etc... I wan't the "Best" results I can achieve! Unfortunately, or fortunately for those who abhor computers, you get the best print the old fashioned way. Not that I disklike the darkroom, I just don't have the space to make it nice and comfortable. Believe me, I wanted very much to be able to use a digital neg off my inkjet, but it doesn't quite make it for me. Hope this helps.

Bob,

So what sized original are you starting with and what sized negative are you making (and what are you using for scanning?)

Sandy mentioned that not only did he like the PDN system for Pt/Pd but had also made some very nice azo prints as well and seen some excellent "regu;ar" silver prints as well.

I've worked on some 11x14 sized negatives that were made with the Burkholder system and printed on Polywarmtone and they seemed excellent.

If I don't get decent results from digital negs (and I may be doing some Pt/Pd, which I haven't doen for aeons) then the other option is an 8x10 enlarger and I really don't want to have go that route...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

I haven't used the PDN system so I can't comment on it but I can say that when I wanted to learn more about making digital negatives, I looked at both and my choice came down to economics. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $75 for an ebook that I would have to print myself. Burkholder's system works for me and he has shared enough additional information that I feel totally comfortable tweaking my curves for whatever printer I'm using (an Epson 2200 or an RX500).

well, who'd have thunk it. the APUG has an extensive sub-forum on digital negatives with plenty answers to most of my questions