Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Just curious but what the most you have ever sold a B&W Landscape print for?

Re: Just curious but what the most you have ever sold a B&W Landscape print for?

My motivation for asking the question was driven by my considering submitting an image or two to an open exhibition. Having looked around at the likes of http://www.beetlesandhuxley.com/ and http://www.charliewaite.com who is considered one of the UKs top landscape photographers, my impression is that $2750 (£2500) is rather high for an unknown photographer or rather one unknown to me. I could understand it for for a print by Michael Kenna or someone of similar status but not for an unknown. I would have thought more like £1000 for an image that size.
    But I also think it very much depends on the demographic of the people coming to the gallery and status of the gallery. If a small local gallery has built up a mailing list of local clients who are willing to spend the money then the gallery should have a fair idea of the price point of those clients. Depending on the the particular gallery that price point could be $250 or $2000 for the same image.
    I've also seen art programs where newbies were being selected for entry to open exhibitions by recognised art critics (in the UK) and anything above £500 was considered a lot for a photographic print by an unknown person. So I just wondered what other peoples thoughts were. And it seems that those who maybe aren't seriously into the selling side of their hobby are quite happy to accept much lower prices than those who are maybe making a substantial part of their living from their photography or are trying to do so.

multiplex

Re: Just curious but what the most you have ever sold a B&W Landscape print for?

hello the joker

if you use google and searchbar >>> site:http://www.largeformatphotography.info "how much do i charge for prints"

this is part of what comes up, its a question that gets asked often here -

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...thread-closed)
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...r-print-prices
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...edition-prints
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ts-sell-better

you can change the search string around ( the part in quotes ) to suit your question.
    in the end you have to charge what you feel comfortable with charging. some people don't like charging small amounts
    because they think it reflects their skill &c, rather than making their photography affordable to the people who would like to buy it.
    and some people don't like charging high prices because they think if they do it makes them seem like a pompous artist-type.
    its a fine line between the 2.

good luck with your sales
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 25-Jun-2016 at 17:05. Reason: Per poster's request - spell checker's auto-correct lost its compass!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    So I just wondered what other peoples thoughts were. And it seems that those who maybe aren't seriously into the selling side of their hobby are quite happy to accept much lower prices than those who are maybe making a substantial part of their living from their photography or are trying to do so.
    hi the joker

i have sold things that weren't "b/w landscapes"
    printed by an off site printer, sold by me locally
    for not very much $$ not because i don't care about
    making $$ but because i wanted to sell the photographs
    to people who couldn't afford the price of an expensive print.
    i've sold things in cafés for a few hundred dollars, and sold online
    in a venue that prints, ships, frames &c for me, for even more.
    none have been b/w landscapes in the traditional "grand landscape" genre
    but hand coated, or hand painted, abstractions, urban grit, still life floral-stuff
    and photograms ... interior designers like big things these days, and the company/s
    i use can print big for these folks who want something a little bit different.
    photography is always hard to sell because unlike painting or sculpture or designing a
    landscape or building, everyone with a camera things they are a photographer, and
    everyone truly believes they "can do that" as good as or better than the original photographer.
    oh well ...
    i'd be happy to share actual $ amounts with you via PM ( won't do that in a thread ),
    i'll just say its enough to allow me to donate a substantial amount to relief efforts/food banks &c at least once a year,
    and still have $ in my pocket ... after i pay the tax-man.

No need to share prices. I think there are big differences between the US and UK anyway and even bigger differences between venues and the clientelle (potential buyers) that visit them. Everyone has their price point. If its too cheap they won't buy it and if its too expensive the won't buy it. People love to look at B&W prints in galleries and restaurants and public places but that doesn't necessarily translate into wanting a dominant B&W image in their personal living space.
    One artist friend knows this and prices according to location of gallery. Another artist aquaintance sells portrait commisions(impressionistic paintings) to clients in the west end of london for £75,000 a pop. So it's mostly down down to the demographic of the buyers you are marketing to and not the size of the work or B&W or photography. But generally you won't get near as much with photography as you will with paintings.
    The best ploy is to do your research and take advice from the gallery you are going to exhibit in. If they have held photographic exhibitions previously then they should have a clue and be able to give you good advice about expectations for selling price to their clients. But what you need to be careful about is having several similar types and size of work in different galleries selling for widely varying prices. I spoke to one gallery who told me that people are smart these days and don't trust the galleries. They look up an artist on the web(via their mobile phone) and find out the pricing of the artists work at other venues. The buyers are just like everyone else, they want the best deal even if their price point is much higher than the next persons.
    I only asked the question because I was just surprised at the price an unknown photographer (at least to me) was selling his work for, albeit a nice photograph. But then it was a west end of london venue and it doesn't get any pricier than that neighbourhood which may have been a big influencing factor. Getting your work shown in a west end of london gallery would be no easy task but should pay dividends. Well it would if the gallery aren't taking a massive pecentage but mostly they do. Gallery rental must cost a fortune up there so prices are ramped up accordingly to cover venue costs and to suit the local clientelle (mega rich). In my little backwater we're at the opposite end of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... i have sold things that weren't "b/w landscapes"...
    I was just glancing at the following article...
    And you definitely just reminded me of someone else here -- On the Forum.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/1...onal-identity/
    --
    Yes, pricing one's own B&W Prints today (*Albeit Landscape or otherwise)...
    Is definitely a 'Philosophical Conundrum' -- As stated above.

Drew Wiley

Location, location, location. I was amused last winter when we briefly stopped at the most expensive shopping center on Maui just to use the restrooms. The two
    galleries right next to the Gucci store were listing $25,000 price tags on painting so pathetically kitchy and amateurish that they wouldn't realistically fetch $25 on
    the mainland. But closer to home, I've seen nicely framed yet mass-produced photolithographs (basically posters, not real lithographs) selling for $10,000 apiece
    in tourist galleries in SF; yet I happen to know the wholesale cost on some of those unframed was around $15 apiece! Just shopping for an honest reputable gallery to place your work in is itself a lot of work! I got tired of that game long ago.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    I was just glancing at the following article...
    And you definitely just reminded me of someone else here -- On the Forum.

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/1...onal-identity/
    --
    Yes, pricing one's own B&W Prints today (*Albeit Landscape or otherwise)...
    Is definitely a 'Philosophical Conundrum' -- As stated above.
    interesting article.
    it reminds me of a friend
    who had hair down to his waist
    before he moved to california ..
    he shaved his head and said he believed
    like they did in the 60s if he moved to SF he
    could be a different person, reinvent himself someone new.
    didn't really happen, he was the same guy there as he was before he left.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    No need to share prices. I think there are big differences between the US and UK anyway and even bigger differences between venues and the clientelle (potential buyers) that visit them. Everyone has their price point. If its too cheap they won't buy it and if its too expensive the won't buy it. People love to look at B&W prints in galleries and restaurants and public places but that doesn't necessarily translate into wanting a dominant B&W image in their personal living space.
    One artist friend knows this and prices according to location of gallery. Another artist aquaintance sells portrait commisions(impressionistic paintings) to clients in the west end of london for £75,000 a pop. So it's mostly down down to the demographic of the buyers you are marketing to and not the size of the work or B&W or photography. But generally you won't get near as much with photography as you will with paintings.
    The best ploy is to do your research and take advice from the gallery you are going to exhibit in. If they have held photographic exhibitions previously then they should have a clue and be able to give you good advice about expectations for selling price to their clients. But what you need to be careful about is having several similar types and size of work in different galleries selling for widely varying prices. I spoke to one gallery who told me that people are smart these days and don't trust the galleries. They look up an artist on the web(via their mobile phone) and find out the pricing of the artists work at other venues. The buyers are just like everyone else, they want the best deal even if their price point is much higher than the next persons.
    I only asked the question because I was just surprised at the price an unknown photographer (at least to me) was selling his work for, albeit a nice photograph. But then it was a west end of london venue and it doesn't get any pricier than that neighbourhood which may have been a big influencing factor. Getting your work shown in a west end of london gallery would be no easy task but should pay dividends. Well it would if the gallery aren't taking a massive pecentage but mostly they do. Gallery rental must cost a fortune up there so prices are ramped up accordingly to cover venue costs and to suit the local clientelle (mega rich). In my little backwater we're at the opposite end of the scale.
    i think it is all about figuring out who will buy your work and pricing it accordingly.
    you are right gallery rents are expensive. like vaughn, i used to part own a gallery,
    and the closer it is to the main road and traffic the more $$ it is, the further away, the more affordable
    but the harder it is to find, so the rent is cheap. established galleries
    ( like the ones you mention ) are nothing more than advertising and pr agencies putting their regular customers
    in touch with, the work they like. or the work they are collecting. it isn't an overnight thing to be collected,
    it takes a long time to establish oneself, get people interested and wanting to buy what you have...
    not saying there aren't 1 hit wonders ... but that usually isn't the case.
    if you have $$ there is a gallery in nyc called the agora gallery. they have a client list, of collectors
    and will market your work and do a blow out show for you/yourwork. i think, like most galleries theyare 50% commission
    on top of their fee, so it isnt' cheap. that doesnt' even count the matting and framing of the work which can be expensive.

good luck !

Sample from Clyde Butcher website - received via newsletter:

Western Everglades - Big Cypress - gelatin silver fiber base, 15x18" matted 2x26, archival - $1.195; 27x37" matted 36x46" - $4.295
    Those prices are from a established pro with years of experience, probably large (>100) limited editions.

I remember have made a expo in the 90'ies at Sao Paulo of 23 prints 8x10 of my work made in France and Brazil, sold 18 prints, not expensive, maybe $200 or near that.
    Next November I'll show 15-20 prints in Swiss, I have no idea what the price tag will be, and expect to - at least - pay for the flight ticket and lodging. Nothing granted, just expectations.

Cheers,

Renato

I sell my Solarizations for $1250.00 Canadian Framed

Series is of 7 of any image, which means I will only make 7 different prints. Some are PD with Gum over, some are Silver Gelatin.

At this point I do not distinguish close common size pricing , which means an 11 x14 is the same price an 16 x20.

I have a mural size where I charge more, at this point I find the smaller prints sell better.

I have no image off the market yet, some are at the 4 out of 7 position. I may escalate the price for these last three prints of each image.