Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question on shutter bulb

Re: Question on shutter bulb

Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post
    That makes sense, however, mine does not do that. No matter how I manipulate the bulb or thumb, the shutter closes. I can not get it to remain open without keeping pressure on the bulb with the hole on top plugged. I suspect that there is an air leak somewhere. This is why I did not understand its function.
    When the shutter is open, it is in a stable equilibrium state and will stay open and needs no air pressure to stay open. It will close when you give it some vacuum pressure. It's never going to work properly with a rubber band on the piston. Best to open it up and give it a good cleaning and inspection.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

You may be having trouble because your shutter is not a "real" Packard.

I have one which internally is different from the ones sold now, and which will not operate correctly with the air cylinder vertical (as in the first picture of post #11); remove the air pressure and gravity leaves the blades partially open. It will, however, work with the air cylinder horizontal. (Mr. Farinelli of Packard Shutter Company said that he was pretty sure that is the product of some long-defunct manufacturer, and declined to speculate what would be needed to get it to work "normally".)

I would remove the rubber band, check internally for missing or stretched springs, and see how it does with the air cylinder horizontal.

That makes sense, however, mine does not do that. No matter how I manipulate the bulb or thumb, the shutter closes. I can not get it to remain open without keeping pressure on the bulb with the hole on top plugged. I suspect that there is an air leak somewhere. This is why I did not understand its function.
    Get rid of the rubber band. Not original to the design. Also they are very simple. Don't be afraid to take it apart and give it a clean up.

Jon, Harold, Jim

Thanks. I am guessing that the rubber band was added by the previous owner because the shutter was not working properly. I will remove the rubber band, take the shutter apart and clean it. Hopefully I can get it back together right and it will work as designed!

I just bought the camera a few weeks ago at a local antique mall. Met the booth owner who turned out to be a retired, local photographer who used the camera professionally. He purchased it used in the 60s. The camera came with a pic of him and the camera from back then. Kinda cool.

Its working!!!!

Turns out that the rubber band was the problem. The shutter works perfectly as you all described once I removed the rubber band. Don't know why the previous owner put it on.

Thanks y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Get rid of the rubber band. Not original to the design. Also they are very simple. Don't be afraid to take it apart and give it a clean up.
    If you decide to clean it, do not use any solvents or lubricants. Just a soft brush, compressed air, vacuum. If the piston is sticking, you can use some very fine steel wool to remove any oxidation or corrosion present, taking care to blow/vacuum out any debris from the steel wool afterward. Do not lubricate the piston as any lubricant can potentially gum up over time, and also, the piston must have some friction to stay up when the shutter is open. Avoid getting liquid on the blades, as they are typically made of paper.

Search the forum & you will see some threads on how to clean a Packard.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Its working!!!!

Turns out that the rubber band was the problem. The shutter works perfectly as you all described once I removed the rubber band. Don't know why the previous owner put it on.

Thanks y'all.
    Maybe to prevent piston movement during transportation?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design