Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help identifying camera

Re: Help identifying camera

This is unusually large studio camera made for up to 30x40cm, and, perhaps, even very close to 40x50cm. The "Drop down" system of loading the back plate is unusual for this sort of camera, as well as the edge fixing fitments. Thre is usual a "place in" system with a central top latch.

THis system does seem to make the conversion of just about any available sliding back on the market "Metric or inches" an extremely easy thing to do!
    All you need to do is to find an attractive piece of wood which fits flush in the square back with a brass or aluminium profile which fits in the bottom grove. Depending on the size and style of the back you wish to use, you may have to move the locking tabs a lttle higher.

My personal opinion is that you will never be able to find extra plateholders of this exact design or a back into which it will fit properly.
    Perhaps you should think about the size of the format you are most interested in for portrait/still life and the process you might be using?
    The back shown is a quite simple one, but with a drop down system from a slightly earlier camera than yours. It has the back plate and square plate holders. The GG screen frame hinges down and the holder is inserted from the side. The two guiding wooden pieces are quite simple and are just screwed onto the back plate. So your new back could be a sliding back with just 2 pieces of profiled mahogany.
    camera backs were frequently changed over decades and, especialy, spring backs are often found on these old studio cameras.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

The lens on this camera was likely there fom the start! A size no.6 Euryscope is a 14" focal length F4 which was designed for 10x12" coverage which suggests the original format was indeed 24x30cm. The Victorian table stand was mostly used with the larger sizes of studio cameras.

Love the drop down system! That should be a piece of cake to make.
    I think I only need one film holder for the moment. Will do ambrotypes mainly. The X-ray film looks quite interesting though. We'll see about that in the future. Will use it as a portrait camera.

24x30cm is a pretty good size I think Would be cool to take larger photos in the future, but that is way down the line. Really love how the whole camera and lens looks. Lovely hand work.

The lens has a slot for aperture inserts, but those have been lost since ages. Might cut some to experiment with on the laser cutter. Bet it's going to be difficult to get enough light even with F4.

Have plans for a pretty cool LED flash system that I think could work well. 450nm light and 100x 100W LEDS should at least do something.

I have located my 24x30cm back "items" which actually match one of my European Studio cameras. To compare with your monster, this camera is only 38cm across!
    These backs predate the "sliding back" introduction. I, personally, think sliding backs are OK with smaller formats - but I think the lift out and replace system is much more likely to keep the image selected on the GG framing with the weight of these holders (Almost 2 kilos). Note the GG is mounted by wooden strips, like window. The corner supports for the glass plates are silver for wetplate use. There two short tabs at each side on the tops of these backs which lock the backs into place. Apart from the GG and the single tambour back, I have two "blanks", which fit perfectly, but just have a square hole about full plate size. Perhaps a preparation to going down to a more modern, more economic, format?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

i wanna purchase best camera, can one one tell me with advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by wasiraj032 View Post
    i wanna purchase best camera, can one one tell me with advantages?
    The first LF camera most photographers buy is the wrong camera for the purchaser. It will teach the purchaser what it really wants/needs.

I have no idea where you are, what you want to accomplish with an LF camera, what's available to you or how much you can afford to spend. On the assumptions that you can buy through the internet and aren't made of money, buy a Cambo or Sinar monorail or a Crown Graphic. These are all relatively easy to find and not too expensive. Use whatever you get for at least a year and then go shopping again. Any of the cameras I mentioned can be resold with at worst a slight loss of money.