Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bertha

Graflex Journal publisher

Big Bertha

Hi,

I am a new member and publisher of the Graflex Journal. I am interested in members using Graflex cameras, especially the Big Bertha. I heard that Dan Schwartz is working on a restoration.

Ken

Re: Big Bertha

I'll just sign on and say that I recently discovered that no one wants 3-1/4x4-1/4, so it's easy and cheap. Since I only shoot x-ray film and cut it up myself to size, there was no leap at all except to buy the various tools needed--camera, holders, hangers--and put a couple more pieces of fence tape on my paper cutter. It appears, based on prices, that people are willing to pay an arm and a leg for a Speed Graphic but just about nothing for 3x4 SLRs!

I've had a 4x5 Super D for decades, but the end of Type 57 Polaroid had me mothballing that.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Hi!!!

Long time Graflex user/restorer for as long as I (barely) remember... Great cameras!!!

But not to be negative, but worth mentioning is with different experiments/usage with FP (+ mirror) models and longish lenses, I find that there is some initial recoil (more & less) at different speeds/tensions that have effects on blurring the image slightly, unless maybe the camera is bolted to a slab of granite or something... Maybe the Berthas were OK for press photos at ballgames with newsprint, but for fine art/detail studies there's that vertical blur that keeps showing up in photos...

But really, any camera with mechanical shutter + very long lens can be iffy, even if it's just shooting outside on a warm day with heat rising between the camera + subject... (I was once viewing the NYC skyline through a telescope from Sandy Hook 25 mi away over water and I was watching the atmosphere INVERT the skyline image before my eye every few seconds!!!) But camera vibration usually can show up somewhere/sometimes...

I shoot several Graflex models, and my "Little Bertha" right now is a 2X3 Speed with a 400mm Wolly f4.5 true tele, and with that format, it provides a tele effect I can't get with my larger cameras...

But they all have their own "personality"... And a lot of fun to shoot!!!!

Steve K

Stay tuned. I am working on something similar to the last 2 comments.

I ran across this article the other day (written by one of the forum members here) on Big Berthas: http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby_bertha-v3-2013-04-15_en.pdf Very interesting read on the challenges involved.

Have had numerous Graflex 4X5 and 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 models but at the moment am down to one Mini Crown and one RB 4X5 Series D - just in case Kenmet would like to see - my modifications to the 4X5.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Nice link.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Have had numerous Graflex 4X5 and 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 models but at the moment am down to one Mini Crown and one RB 4X5 Series D - just in case Kenmet would like to see - my modifications to the 4X5.

Ken, one of us has information that's way out of date. By the time my Baby Bertha article was completed Dan Schwartz' web site had dried up and blown away. Has he come back from wherever he disappear to?

I have and shoot several graflexes including 4x5 RB SuperD, 3x4 RB SuperD converted to 4x5, 4x5 speed and crown graphics. Great cameras, well built, fairly easy to maintain.