Thread: SUNY - Purchase College - Neuberger Museum - 2 exhibits.

SUNY - Purchase College - Neuberger Museum - 2 exhibits.

Two interesting exhibits for those in the NY Metro Area
    Both exhibits have been up for several months, but there's still a month left to catch them.

Pursuit of Clarity:
    Adams, Van Dyke, Weston and the Straight Photography Movement

Ends June 26, 2016

From the museum notice:

Ansel Adams, Willard Van Dyke and Edward Weston, three lifelong friends, each contributed to promoting photography as a fine art over the course of their distinctive careers, which converged with the founding of Group f.64 in 1932. Named after the smallest aperture setting on a large format camera, which could be used to produce photographs with foreground and background in sharp focus, the West Coast collective formally existed for just a few years. Along with classic close-ups of vegetables, flowers, and bodies, the exhibition includes portraits and landscapes made within the structure of straight photography. Photographs highlighting the artists’ formative style from the Neuberger Museum’s permanent collection are presented alongside publications including the work of the Group f.64 co-founders.

The Instant as Image:
    Moments of Action in Photography from the Permanent Collection

Ends June 26, 2016

From the museum notice:

Built around Barbara Morgan’s exuberant images of dancers and Larry Fink’s surreal party photographs, this exhibition critically explores the camera’s unique ability to capture movement. Interest in representing movement through photography began as early as 1850 but reached a turning point in the 1930s with the invention of 35 millimeter roll film and handheld cameras. Artists working in documentary, street, and snapshot style have depicted motion as an expressive device rooted in the real world. Their work both bears witness and conveys the beauty of chance capture. The Instant as Image also features the work of Manuel Álvarez Bravo, Harry Callahan, Larry Clark, John Cohen, Elliott Erwitt, Lee Friedlander, Andre Kertész, Danny Lyon, Mary Ellen Mark, Hans Namuth, Nicholas Nixon, Edward Steichen, and Andy Warhol.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Re: SUNY - Purchase College - Neuberger Museum - 2 exhibits.

Dennis,

Thank you for posting, and kudos to SUNY for the presentation of these two important exhibitions.

Eight decades have passed, however the "Pursuit of Clarity" has never been more important. The Van Dyke photograph of mushrooms says it all!

Best,
    Merg

https://www.neuberger.org/exhibition...660&height=500

Re: SUNY - Purchase College - Neuberger Museum - 2 exhibits.

Hi Merg,

Glad you saw the post - thanks for including the link which I forgot to do (with all my cutting and pasting) !

Your comment that, despite the passing of time, 'The Pursuit of Clarity' has never been more important, is so true. However, that statement is far more meaningful coming from you, given your own background and personal connection to those photographers exhibited.

I've enjoyed both exhibits very much. Each has a selection of very lovely and unique images. I'm delighted the location is so close to home and convenient to revisit.

I should also mention I appreciate your own distinctive work - Many of your images have provided inspiration for me to look at subjects in a different and more thoughtful manner.

Regards,

Dennis Dilmaghani
    I know just enough to be dangerous !