Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Printer purchase advice

Printer purchase advice

Many thanks to everyone for the prompt and thoughtful responses. Lots of useful information for me to ponder. I recently noticed the rebate on the 4000, but hadn't yet done any research on printers.

My only printing experience is traditional b/w, and that was 25 years ago, so I have lots of work to do.

Tomorrow I will have a close look at 1800 and 4000 print samples at the local Calumet. The HP 130 also seems to be worth a look, especially for its blacks, after reading the Digital Outback review.

Matt the 1800 does sound good. Have you considered the HP130. I hadn't, since I wasn't aware that the dye longevity issues had been solved. I seems to be a viable option. But I will have to check on ink prices. What Paul has said is probably the key issue here over the life of the printer, since the output of any of these printers would probably satisfy me.

Robb, I'll keep you informed of my progress if I get the 4000 and I would also appreciate any tips you might pass on.

Printer purchase advice

Read what you will between these lines but if I were in the market for a new printer, I would take a few weeks to research different printers. There has been a lot of work going in creating new & much more archival inksets & papers with better performance and color by at least one major manufacturer.

Printer purchase advice

Hey Ron,

I have a lot of experience using inkjet printers. I have used a 1270, a couple of 1280s, a 2200, and the 4000. Over time my personal interest has evolved to b/w, so I can speak with a fair amount of experience. Currently I use a 1280 with cutom quadtone inks I designed (modified) from commericially available, and the 4000 using the Epson color inks.

The 4000 is identical to the 2200 for all purposes, except the 4000 has both matte and glossy blacks installed at the same time, and of course the 4000 can print up to 17" wide.

From my experience, if your primary interest is printing color on RC papers, then the 2200 and 4000 will show bronzing, which is only an issue when viewing prints at an angle. It annoys the heck out of me. But, coating with acrylic solves that very well. For color RC prints, you could use Canon (but fades fast) without bronzing. The new HP does a good job with fade resistance, but only with swellable polymer papers, which are NOT waterproof. And they do show some bronzing.

If you want to print color on 100% art papers, the Epson 2200 and 4000 are the only choice really.

As far as b/w is concerned, after having developed my own method, I can tell you quite confidently that 2200 or 4000 using a $50 share-ware RIP (QTR) works extremely well. You can use 100% cotton papers (DMax ~1.65) or RC papers (DMax ~2.1), and coat the RC papers to remove bronzing (DMax goes up to ~2.4). These prints can be cool, selenium, warm, sepia, or a number of combinations thereof. With HP models that use the gray inks you can get good prints straight away, but again you are restricted to swellable polymer papers, which are NOT waterproof. I find them fairly easy to smudge. And you cannot use 100% cotton papers.

The new R1800 is probably not a good choice if you plan on doing b/w. Because it does not have the light black ink (2200 and 4000 have), it is EXTREMELY difficult (perhaps impossible) to get neutral, metamerism-free b/w with full-on color inks.

In summary: There is no perfect solution. But an educated decision cab be made, along with accepting a few compromises.

Good luck.

Printer purchase advice

PS:

Send me an e-mail if you want me to mail you example prints.

Shilesh

Printer purchase advice

Thank-you Shilesh, for your excellent summary. It has really brought me up to speed.

Is HP what you are alluding to Ellis? Thank-you, you're right I need to do more research. I won't let the rebate deadline constrain me, but hopefully I can decide in time.

I just read that an 18" version of the Hp130 will be available in June for about $1000.

But, as Shilesh has kindly mentioned, the inherent paper restrictions and possibility of smudging make it less appealing to me is spite of its competitive price.

Printer purchase advice

I was told by something of a professional (Michael Gordon) that the HP130 while excellent for glossy color is not a good choice for matte b&w. Others have said the same.

I will have to do more research on the 1800 lacking a light black ink. I was unaware of this difference between it and the 2200.

If money were no option I would go with the 4000 and feel confident about the b/w quality. I would still have difficulty getting the 2200 however, seeing as it seems so ripe for replacement in Epson's product line.

Of course, money is an issue, so the 1800 continues to hold my interest. I didn't know I could get sample prints at Calumet. We have one nearby. I'll have to check it out.

Printer purchase advice

Matt,

About the 2200, I would not be worried too much about it being "ripe for replacement". My logic goes that if it works for you today, surely it will work for you when the new printer is announced. What I can say about the 2200 and 4000 is that they are really a sound option if b/w printing is important. If not, the R1800 is a good choice for color on RC papers.

Using the R1800 as an example, you would think it was an improvement over ALL shortcomings of the 2200. Well as we now know it is not. In fact, the 1800 is better than 2200 in exactly one aspect, i.e., color printing on RC papers because of the gloss optimizer. OTOH, it is appears worse than the 2200 in b/w printing and printing color on matte papers. Now if color RC was your only preference, woohoo, it is perfect, right?

So, who is to say that the replacement of the 2200 will be better in all issues? We don't know what "customer needs" research Epson relies on. If they read forums, the ideal printer would be:

Faster than 2200
    Have gloss and matte black ink at the same time (like the 4000)
    Have gloss optimizer
    Have ~1.5 pL drop size
    Have high gamut color inks, and
    Have 3 shades of gray inks

That is an 11 ink printer. Boy I hope they come out with it in the 17 inch carriage size. I would gladly pay $2000 for it.

Until then...........I am plugging away with what I have, quite happily.

Printer purchase advice

If you purchase the 4000, be wary about getting the RIP, one of the options versus the rebate. The RIP that ships with the printer doesn't support invoking 3rd party profiles. It only supports the Epson profiles. Unbelievable. That's not a RIP, it's more like a RIP-Off!

I just got a 4000, and I'm investigating using the rebate to get a different RIP. It might still be a ColorBurst RIP, just not the one that they ship with the printer.

Printer purchase advice

Here's another review of the R1800 - go 2/3rds down the page:

http://www.inkjetart.com/r1800/

Shilesh Jani nailed it in his posts! No need to add to it.

There's a very good chance the Epson 4000 will be replaced this summer.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

Printer purchase advice

The 4000 is a great piece of equipment. I am a very picky printer and all my color commercial work and much the B&W and color for my upcoming retrospective show is being printed on the 4000. It is very versatile and professional. I bought mine before the rebate but it was a deal at the original price.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"