Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Hey all, i was hoping on getting some advice on restoring a kodak master view 8x10 camera.

I want to restore it to full user condition. I received it in good condition but there is wear and tear. The metal and leather top strap is deteriorated and needs replacing. The metal is still fine but the leather is definitely gone. there is some rust but with brasso and wd40 i can restore the metal so i don't think i will need to replace that. I got both the 8x10 back and the 5x7 reducing. No lensboard but i can source it and/or am confident i could make some wooden ones.

The biggest thing i need help with is sourcing some bellows. I read that some like to replace the bellows with an alternate set to make use of all the movements but sacrifice stiffness. I also think i want to deviate from the standard black. Anybody replace theirs on their master view and have advice or can recommend a bellow maker?

Oh and besides brasso and wd40 does anybody recommend other cleaners? It has that terrible storage smell but i think most of it has to do with the original bellows.

Thanks!

Re: Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Rust? On a KMV? Where? Mine was an alloy IIRC, not steel.
    If there is enough of the old leather handle to make a pattern, most saddle makers or shoe repair places can make one for you
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Looking to restore a Kodak Master View 8x10 Camera and need help and advice.

Brasso is bad. Leather straps are commonly available through antique rehab & repro shops.

why is brasso bad?

have you ordered from them before?

yes there was some sort of rust inside the 8x10 back. The rest is on some screws and the name plate.

Quote Originally Posted by pdjr1991 View Post
    have you ordered from them before?
    I have a few leather straps suitable for large format cameras. They are not camera specific replicas, but functional. One source is Van Dyke. A sample page here.

We really have to search their site. Here is a long version I have used.

A kluge hold down. http://www.vandykes.com/trunk-handle...each/p/205944/.

Surf for short trunk handles for starters. I have a couple I could not use. When I am back in the shop I will measure them and post if you wish. You could also measure the original and send us all the dimensions.

I'd test any anti-corrosion product on an inconspicuous place first to see if it will harm the wrinkle finish paint. You might try Eezox, available at hardware and gun shops. Consider applying vigorously with an old toothbrush if it doesn't harm the paint.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

disregard