Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebony Camera Going Out of Business? - Confirmed

Re: Ebony Camera Going Out of Business? - Confirmed

Last time someone said something about buying an Ebony, there was a 6-18 month wait time. Who will miss these cameras? Upper crust "collectors" might lament it. For all others, the same amount of cameras made up to today, will be here tomorrow. Plenty of used, plenty of other options too, even for the people with to much money.

I used a borrowed RW45 for a couple of months. It was a fine camera.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

AnzaRunner

I've had my Ebony RW810 since 2009. It functions beautifully, and I really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it. The quality materials make for a very well built camera that hasn't let me down. I don't see it as a "status symbol" as some people said earlier in this thread. I see it as a well designed tool that doesn't get in the way of my creative process. It sets up fast, is solid, and I don't have to fight it. I must say that I've had thoughts about buying a second one just in case something happens to my current camera -- but they are so well built that I don't think that will be a problem. The bigger factor is the long term availability of color film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It might be good to refresh our perspective by recalling those professional, commercial photographers who used large format. My last exposure to it was Chicago in the mid-seventies where LF was the standard. The pro was located within a short walk to the processing lab. Proofs were provided, adjustments made and upon approval of the art director the project was closed within the day, sometimes later.

The output from 4x5 and usually 8x10 far, far exceeded the requisites of their application. So be it.

Translate that to the current digital flow, efficiency, lower fidelity media and the economics are clear and depressing to old timers.
    I may be classified as an old timer, but after 25 years of using LF exclusively for everything, digital is a far better tool for the current commercial market and frankly I love it. There are things I can do with it that were damn near impossible with film or prohibitively expensive.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Patched together
    Oh, Jerry Rigged...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by AnzaRunner View Post
    I've had my Ebony RW810 since 2009. It functions beautifully, and I really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into it. The quality materials make for a very well built camera that hasn't let me down. I don't see it as a "status symbol" as some people said earlier in this thread. I see it as a well designed tool that doesn't get in the way of my creative process. It sets up fast, is solid, and I don't have to fight it. I must say that I've had thoughts about buying a second one just in case something happens to my current camera -- but they are so well built that I don't think that will be a problem. The bigger factor is the long term availability of color film.
    What about the stripped nut on the tilt? Was that a design issue?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Last time someone said something about buying an Ebony, there was a 6-18 month wait time. Who will miss these cameras? Upper crust "collectors" might lament it. For all others, the same amount of cameras made up to today, will be here tomorrow. Plenty of used, plenty of other options too, even for the people with to much money.
    I don't really feel "upper crust", and I'm not a collector. I had owned several cameras, and wanted one I would be happy with for the rest of my life. I happened to sell a lens, so had some cash, and spent a little more than twice the cost of a new Tachihara for a used Ebony in "like new" condition. Actually, it was better than new because the previous owner had installed a Maxwell screen, which is the brightest I have ever seen.

From a functional point of view, I don't feel like I was cheated or ripped off. A Tachi will do everything this camera will do, but this is a precision instrument with tight tolerances and easy adjustments; and robust and durable construction. Its sort of like the difference between contractor-grade tool and homeowner tools. Each will do the job, but the more durable and precise contractor tools cost a bit more. Compared to what people spend everyday for quickly obsolescent DSLRs it was not expensive, and will easily last my lifetime, my son's lifetime, and maybe his son's as well.

This camera will not make anyone a better photographer, and if someone cannot afford one or doesn't think it worth the cost, that's fine. They can accomplish all they want to with a Tachi or Ikeda Anba. But for those that want or need a durable camera and can afford it, the precision of a Ebony or Linhof or Arca Swiss will always be attractive. So, I'm sad to see them go.

Indeed, Tim - "That's a nice picture, it must have been an expensive camera" is an all-too-common attitude...

I'm not in a position to buy an Ebony at present - and to be honest my preference is to make cameras rather than buy them - but it's a fine looking camera and I'll be, er, borrowing many aspects of one for my next attempt. In particular, the robustness.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Oh, Jerry Rigged...
    No, jury rigged.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jury%20rigged

Is this thread getting "off topic?"