Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinar Shutter

Re: Sinar Shutter

Armin, I don't know much about these boards, but aren't they called DBM boards, with the M standing for manual, and have the aperture ring at the base of the cone?

Kumar

I have DB and DBM boards. DBM allows manual control of lens iris and DBM goes to f64 v. F45 for the DB auto control. The DB board mounted lenses spring open when dismounted or when not making an exposure.
    One of the benefits of a Sinar shutter is that lenses w/o shutters can be mounted on a regular board and used with the Sinar shutter. You either accept the lens at whatever aperture it has or use its iris/Waterhouse stops whatever. I've even used a +4 close-up lens (250mm positive meniscus lens) with the Sinar shutter. I taped it to the lens board and eventually made some stops to go I a cardboard holder taped to the front side of the board.

Kevin Kolosky

Yes, you can mount them on a normal board, but not in the normal way. There is very little clearance between the board and the shutter blades. So you can't just unscrew a lens from a shutter, slap it on a regular sinar flat board, and mount it. You either have to attach some sort of a flange to the lens you are going to use (unless it already has one) or you need to add some sort of cone so that the lens can be screwed in ahead of the shutter.

It would be interesting to see photos of those lenses that are not mounted in DB boards but are used with Sinar shutters. Most would, I assume, be older lenses that did not have a shutter.

It's pretty easy to do.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My Cambo 8x10's both have a sinar shutter on them, which I have mated to my Cambo boards.

17" Collinear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinar_Shutter_Lens_45.jpg  
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My Calumet 8x10 with Sinar shutter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2285.jpg   IMG_2284.jpg  

Many graphic arts lenses and older brass lenses have the flange at the back. They can often be mounted on a flat board.

Norma-era coned lens boards are reasonably cheap, if you don't need the automation of the later models. Boards with a broken 'Mickey Mouse' aperture adjustment are the best bargains.

The shutter can also be mounted on an intermediate standard. If mounted reversed, so that the aperture blades are in front, it can be snugged up very close to a lens that projects behind the front standard. If you're not using the full coverage and widest apertures, lenses with larger rear elements than the opening in the shutter work well too. The pic shows a Verito with a larger rear element than the shutter opening (the shutter is hiding behind the bag bellows). On 4x5 there's no vignetting at all.

28mm PC Nikkor with Sinar shutter... great ultra wide angle circular image on 4x5 film. With a square crop, totally looks like a Hasselblad (SWC) Super Wide at a fraction of the cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28PCNikkoronSinar4x5.jpg