But it's all analogous. None of these terms are specific. While I wouldn't have a fit over it, since Chamonix seems to be finely crafted from what I've seen, it still would be of import to me personally if I were buying one. So yes, it is always better to see the final article in person, especially if you understand how wood interacts with weather. But let's take mahogany. There is a world of difference between the remnants of relatively dimensionally-stable pattern-grade that have been curing in dry storage over decades from just anything marketed as mahogany. Similarly, some very dense woods like teak or ebony are prone to end grain splitting if the sealant wears out. Maple can be more forgiving in that respect, but not all maple is the same. There's a lot of "barely-maple" out there, especially from Russian sources, just like a lot of pseudo-teak is around, now that real Burmese is restricted. I'm out in the weather a lot, so inspect my wooden folders every year, and re-seal any suspect nicks or wear areas. Nothing is perfect. Just intelligent choices.