Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Cone/MIS B&W Inksets?

Re: The Future of Cone/MIS B&W Inksets?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    Will we? The printer manufacturers have to be open to an inexpensive 3rd party RIP as well as 3rd party inks.
    The printer manufacturers have to be open to third-party inks? No they don't! Think about it...these manufacturers make most of their profit selling their ink; not selling the hardware. For example, a couple years ago I bought a Canon Pro-100 for $89 brand new! I never owned a Canon printer and just couldn't pass on it due to the price. But, each cartridge runs about $17 per and the thing does cleaning cycles like there's no tomorrow! Read: it costs a lot to run this printer and who's making the profit?

I hope we can use whatever inks we wish to in our printers for years to come, but I won't be surprised if (when?) the day comes that it all ends. Just sayin...

Selling cartridges of ink is the money maker for the printer manufacturers. So what will it take to get them to sell a printer with a set of monochrome inks? If they see sufficient demand, they will supply...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter York View Post
    Ken, I think the p600 and p800 printers are now driveable with QTR, but my Epson 3880 leaves pizza wheel marks.
    As long as I maintain my 3880 properly, there are no pizza wheel marks - at least with the paper/ink combination I use.

On the other hand, with MIS Eboni inks it needs regular attention to relieve clogged channels, but I've learned how to handle those. It's a small price to pay for the ability to use pure Carbon inks at modest cost and make our own profiles for any paper we choose.

The (comparatively new) Print Tool printer driver for Mac OS supports HP as well as Epson printers and the newer Epson models get QTR support sooner or later.

As far as I can tell, we're in a golden age of archival inkjet printing.

You might find this article on printing with MIS Carbon inks with the the 3880 interesting.

You might also find this article on maintaining the 3880 interesting.

You might also find this article by Paul Roark interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    On the other hand, with MIS Eboni inks it needs regular attention to relieve clogged channels, but I've learned how to handle those. It's a small price to pay for the ability to use pure Carbon inks at modest cost and make our own profiles for any paper we choose.
    I guess this depends on where you live...I run Epson OEM inks in my 3880 and I have to run it every 4 - 5 days to keep the heads free of clogs.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad to know that the problem is not limited to after-market inks.

I've heard that low humidity is the problem. Perhaps we should make a special "damp room" for storing these printers, like a greenhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Could you please elaborate? What have the manufacturers have done to thoroughly prevent the use of non-OEM inks with their printers?
    This is the first I've heard of it. I see no mention of this on the Quadtone RIP forum either.
    Ken, I believe that Peter was (perhaps?) originally referring to statements 'like this' for the various Jon Cone Ink Sets.
    Please see the Inkjet Mall Website (*Re: The 'latest' Epson SureColor P800, P6000, P7000, P8000 and P9000 Printers)...
    For Details:

http://shop.inkjetmall.com/Shop-By-P...olor-Printers/
    (Please 'Click' on respective Printer Model... To see Comment as cited Below).

"Please note that according to Epson, this printer is designed to work exclusively with Epson inks and not with other brands of cartridges.
    What we are finding in our testing with chips is that the ink synchronization is not permitted with non-OEM carts and several write-backs
    are blocked.

We can supply you with papers for these printers, but it may take a long time until reliable cartridges are available from InkjetMall."

--

Thank-you! Kind regards,

-Tim.

Drew Wiley

Too little PEG in the inks and they dry out; too much and they dry too slowly after printing. It's inherent; but climate/humidity/ventilation are obviously related.

Tim, yes I was originally referring to that statement, as well as statemets referring to Roy Harrington having trouble obtaining access codes for QTR.
    Peter Y.

Drew Wiley

My second post was related to my first. The unevenness of sheen in blacks might be related to our foggy climate, that is, in conjunction with how PEG affects this
    during drying. Wanted to hear from folks elsewhere in the country, specifically regarding Epson inks. It's not a personal problem, but one I've been asked by friends
    who do print inkjet, since I have a lot of experience in analogous pigment systems. Going to extremely fine lampblack only solves part of the equation, because
    lampblack cannot by itself become a truly neutral black, but will allow formulation with less PEG.

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    Ken, I believe that Peter was (perhaps?) originally referring to statements 'like this' for the various Jon Cone Ink Sets.
    Please see the Inkjet Mall Website (*Re: The 'latest' Epson SureColor P800, P6000, P7000, P8000 and P9000 Printers)...
    For Details:
    Thank you for that most helpful information. I created a post on the QTR forum which asks about this.