Thread: New to LF seeks help with tripod head choices for Gitzo

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to LF seeks help with tripod head choices for Gitzo

Hello all,

Would appreciate your kind and experienced advice regarding three potential choices for my Gitzo Studex Performance tripod, circa '80's, rated at 20lbs load, previously used with MF. I've only rented a LF camera to this point, and am looking to purchase a monorail for studio use, likely a Cambo/Calumet or possibly a Toyo or Wista. Any of these options seem to weigh about ten pounds, +/- 2lbs.

I've found these three different heads: the used Rationale 4 and PL5 seem to be the same vintage as my current, lighter duty (Rat 3) head and tripod. The PL5 has a much lower center of gravity. Would be interested to hear your comments on the respective merits and detractions of both. The third head is Gitzo's current quick-release model G-2272M, which is also available with both a fixed square or long platform. I'd likely have to buy this new. As you can imagine, the price difference between the three heads is considerable ~ certainly a factor, but not necessarily the most important one.

I'd be interested to hear your advice and suggestions comparing the three for practical use. Feel free to chime in on the relative worth of quick release as well, or even bypassing the issue altogether and just use a leveling head (which I've only just learned about).

Thanks everyone for your time, I appreciate it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600-1.jpg   s-l1600.jpg   Gitzo_G2272M_G2272M_Magnesium_Pan_Head_1232827693000_339485.jpg