Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What have I got?

Re: What have I got?

Yikes 20 foot stand, that is big.
    Michael

The issue is that the old portrait lenses have become quite expensive. As in, really, really expensive. To give a better answer, what format do you plan to use, and what type of portraits? The more info you give, the better.

For head'n'shoulders with an 8x10, something like a 480mm APO-Nikkor or a Ronar would be a good choice. They are very high quality lenses, and with some patient looking you can find them for a reasonable amount. If you have a Packard shutter, or similar, you can buy the lenses in a barrel which really helps with the price. These are very sharp lenses. For the opposite extreme, a big Verito, such as George Hurrell used in his early years, are fairly common, and thus more affordable than some of the other famous soft focus lenses. Soft focus lenses can be a real challenge to focus properly.

I'll be posting portrait test images made with a Fuji 420L, and 480 and 600mm Nikkors later today.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

That for portraits? Nah, just use a good medium format camera and get down to business. As for the hardware in the photos, I would convert that sucker into a good horizontal mural enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    That for portraits? Nah, just use a good medium format camera and get down to business. As for the hardware in the photos, I would convert that sucker into a good horizontal mural enlarger.
    Have you quit LF life?

Where's the joy and adventure?
    Tin Can

Some of us love using these old cameras. Think of all of the portraits that must've been taken with that camera down through the decades. We live at a great moment. We still have very affordable film that's much faster than what they had when the camera was made. We also have a large assortment of lighting technologies that mean we don't have cook our subjects. Finally, yes, LF portraiture is challenging...that's part of what makes it fun.

Back to the original poster, a 15" Cooke Aviar is another nice lens, one's that midway between a super sharp and contrasty graphic arts lens and the soft focus beauties. It's easier to focus than the latter, as well.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Have you quit LF life?

Where's the joy and adventure?
    Heck no, been shooting a lot of 4x5 lately but that is because it was the right tool for that job.

I still think this camera has the makings for a great mural enlarger...;-)

We had a camera similar to this camera - for our portrait classes when I studied photography in college. It was an 8x10 like this this one - we shot 4x5 with it with a step-down back. These cameras make really wonderful portraits - you need so added skills to be successful with them. Lenses can be found that take wonderful images - they don't have to be collector lenses.

I think you have a # 8 which is 11x14 if I am correct ?

Yeah, a No. 8 can go up to 11x14.