Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is best for scanning art/transparencies?

what is best for scanning art/transparencies?

If your maximum print size is going to be 20x16 inches, and your art is flat, I would think seriously about using a digital camera. The workflow is much simpler, takes less time to implement, and takes variables out of the question (film processing, scanning). Of course, it has it's own set of learning curves. But it would work for this service, I think.

Just a thought. Of course, YMMV.

Bruce Watson

Hi Carmel

I agree with Bruce Watson, If your artwork is large you can light it and use a digital camera as Bruce suggest.

I am looking into the 4990 and the Microtec 1800 now, and looking to see how much money I can beg, steal or borrow. How much do you think I would have to shill out for a decent camera? Most of the time I need 16 X 20s but occasionally someone orders larger prints. Would it be possible on either the Microtec or a camera under $1000 to print larger than 16X20?
    As of now I can actually print 12X18s from my little Canon Powershot s50 (5.0), so a camera upgrade might be the best next step. Any suggestions? Thanks so much everyone!

Hi Carmel,

Upgrading your current 5MP digicam to either a 6.3 or an 8MP Canon digital SLR will improve your image quality, especially with the 8MP, mainly less noise.

Here are the current Canon prices at KEH, (I am not associated with KEH in any way) they are a good source for used equipment)

http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=DC&cid=02&sid=newused&crid=10466426

Also, a couple of posters on this site have traded their Microtek 1800s for 4990s.

Thank you so much for helping me muddle through this. I am amazed by your generosity. Carmel

I got the 4990 a week or so ago and have done 30 or so 8 X 10 scans so far. (Actually, I am scanning some right now) From closing the lid to finish the scan takes 2 minutes and 10.5 seconds, I just timed one with the stop watch I use for time exposures. That is at 300 dpi, 3000X24000, 20.59mb, 24 bit color. I haven't experimented to much with settings, just trying to get my work flow down, then the tests. I have a few examples of the first scans over on photo.net if you are interested. I plan on getting a quicky 8X10 printed this weekend to compare to my fiber prints. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks- I'll check out the photo.net site! Let me know if/when you print out larger format prints if you don't mind. Thanks!