Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Extending Rise on Sinar Norma Front Standards

Re: Extending Rise on Sinar Norma Front Standards

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Thanks. In fact, he can make these "riser" extension rods to any size. I sent him an email.
    Received a response. He has lengths up to 166mm available for $150. All things considered, I think that this is reasonable, given that they're custom made. I just need to give the length some consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Received a response. He has lengths up to 166mm available for $150. All things considered, I think that this is reasonable, given that they're custom made. I just need to give the length some consideration.
    Each or per pair?

Some machine shops have minimum orders of about that amount, but if you have one that you're on good terms with a pair of rods should cost much less. The thread you can take from the black keeper (M4?, I forget), and the diameter of the rod is the same as the existing uprights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Each or per pair?
    Per pair.

Neil - fyi, if you look closely at the vertical rods on the front standard, you'll see some grooves for the detents at different heights. The upper grooves are for 8x10 lenses to position the lens axis at the center of the format. The lower grooves are used for both 4x5 and 5x7 formats.

Can anyone measure the thread for the top of the Norma uprights? I've been working on this for awhile today and I'm not finding a good answer. What threads down into my uprights for the full 17mm of threads is a 3/8 X 16tpi SAE. The outer thread diameter for that is very close to that of the black upright cap thread. Measuring the thread pitch of the cap with a metric pitch gauge it appears the pitch is 1.5mm, but a M10X1.5 bolt seems too large in diameter to thread into the upright. When threading the Norma cap into a M10X1.5 nut it is a much looser fit than threading it into a 3/8X16 SAE nut. I don't have a bolt M9x1.5 to try and it may not be a common size so I can buy one. So does anyone know the actual thread size?

Len

Drew Wiley

Then there's always that old trick of inclining the main rail (or bed with flatbed cameras) upward somewhat, then correcting both the front and rear standards back to vertical.

Jeff at Fotocare in NYC has a pair for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Each or per pair?
    Per pair.

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    Jeff at Fotocare in NYC has a pair for sale
    Thanks. I looked on their site and couldn't find them. They had similarly appearing extensions that were for flags, lighting accessories. But, nothing I could find related to Normas.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Then there's always that old trick of inclining the main rail (or bed with flatbed cameras) upward somewhat, then correcting both the front and rear standards back to vertical.
    I've tried this, and it works. But, I like the idea of being able to raise the front. And when one focuses, the effective rise varies, etc. Also, it makes it difficult to do swing and rise together. But, it'll work fine, until I come up with a different solution.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 16-Apr-2016 at 08:22.