Thread: How do I make a shutter to use with $1 lenses? (For soft focus portraits.)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb How do I make a shutter to use with $1 lenses? (For soft focus portraits.)

I have been buying some inexpensive magnifying glasses (US $1 to $6 or so) with the goal of creating some soft focus portraits.

I have a couple 4x5" Cambo cameras and will be buying a Crown Graphic to replace one that was stolen. I have experimented with making Cambo lens boards out of black foamcore boards and they seem to work just fine. The advantage of the Cambo lens board is the size - at something like 6x6 inches there is more room to work with than a Crown board which is about 4x4 inches. Plus the Cambo has a much longer bellows available than any Crown or Speed Graphic.

The next step I have in mind is to make a shutter to use with the lenses. I don't have a workshop but do have a couple woodworking tools (jig saw, router, hand tools, clamps, drills, etc.) I don't want to use my hat,

Can anyone give me some advice on building a simple / fairly reliable shutter? (Yes, I know Packard shutters are available but I am retired and don't have much money to spend on this project.)

I was thinking something like a Harris drop shutter might be a way to go. Any opinions on that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Terry
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 7-Apr-2016 at 22:37. Reason: Cleaning up my prose.