Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 360mm(-ish) lenses in barrel for 8x10 ?

Drew Wiley

Re: 360mm(-ish) lenses in barrel for 8x10 ?

You can also go to rebranded lenses under Caltar or Carl Meyer, and with luck find a classic at considerably lower price than the original mfg name itself.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I can't find any of the lenses you mention at the moment in my budget range, but it's useful to have the list.
    You need to be patient. Use the 'saved search' feature on fleabay, check out every single lens that comes up. I recently got an Apo Ronar for about US$50, delivered to Canada. Seller stated the aperture wasn't working, and sold it 'parts only'. He was turning the lever for rotating inserts, not the collar. The aperture is perfect.

Hmm. The UK is still in the EU. Look for lenses on ebay.fr, ebay.de and leboncoin.fr.

And don't rule out a 360/10 Apo-Saphir. Heliar, or rather Apo-Skopar, type, good sharp lens and often not very expensive.

I've never had an RF-4 so can't comment on it, do have an RF-5 bought when I thought I'd never be able to afford a 480/9 Apo-Nikkor. Eventually an affordable 480/9 A-N turned up. It is better than the RF-5. If I were you I'd look for a 360 Apo-Nikkor, Apo-Ronar or Apo-Saphir. But its hard to go wrong with a modern coated process lens.

For example, http://web.archive.org/web/201604081...-/191843398568

Mods, the listing is archived. It will be there as long as archive.org operates.

Some really good info coming forward, so thanks to everyone. Even if I'm not personally going to act on all or any of the suggestions, this sort of thread can be invaluable to trip across for someone else looking for similar info and saves repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    You need to be patient. Use the 'saved search' feature on fleabay, check out every single lens that comes up. .
    Yep, that's exactly how I got hold of my perfect Fuji-W 210/5.6 SC in Copal. Took me about a year but snared it for about £80. The shutters go for not far shy of twice that on their own over here.

In this case, though, I don't have the leisure to wait upon a bargain desirable lens, as the idea will be to use it on 22 May this year. Hence my looking out for something cheap and easily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. The UK is still in the EU. Look for lenses on ebay.fr, ebay.de and leboncoin.fr.
    It's always good to be reminded that eBay searches from one's "home" ebay don't always turn up available items even when ticking the "EU" or "Worldwide" box. Very annoying.

And of course I'll take your other suggestions on board too Dan. Sadly, I think the French Nikkor might prove a bit more expensive than I would like once shipping is included. but I'll zip him an email anyway just in case ...

Just to tidy up the loose ends on this thread, I have ended up catching a 15" (375mm) f/9 ILEX Paragon Process lens from eBay, for £35 delivered.

Using the time-honoured gaffer-tape-and-square-of-cardboard to mount it for testing, it seems to easily illuminate 10x8 with some movements, possibly more, but until I've actually made pictures with it I won't know for sure.

Having said that, there are a few threads here at LFPF that I think refer to this lens (though there seems to be a "Wide Field" version as well ?) being used successfully on 11x14 and 8x20.

If so then this might be a bit of a "sleeper" and worth keeping an eye out for. I suspect it's unusual to find an American lens like the ILEX in the EU.

Thanks again for all replies and thanks also to you-know-who for the support via PM