Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

Re: Worth continuing with PS and LR subscription?

Interesting thoughts in this coversation. I have been thinking about this for some time now. Still use PS3 at home, work pays for CC so no problems there. I have Affinity Photo, it works quite well but after 20+ years of doing things the Adobe way, it is hard to change my habits. I have also dabbled with GIMP, and Darktable, but don't use them enough to get good with them.

T

Be aware that slow connections can make for problems with the cloud version at times.
    Slow connection? It might be true if you keep your images on the cloud, but no one I know does. IMHO such would be foolish. Otherwise the only time your connection matters is when you are downloading updates.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    I have Affinity Photo, it works quite well...
    Not so well with some of the major plugin players out there; and, the plugin developers don't seem all that interested in supporting AP. I guess the HUGE Adobe user base has something to do with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Not true.
    You have a dial up connection, do you?

Once downloaded Adobe software operates entirely locally on your computer and does not need the Internet. If you pay monthly it needs once a month online verification that you paid. If you pay yearly it is 99 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You have a dial up connection, do you?
    Tin Can

I paid $15 for pixelmator and have yet to find the time or the need to use it to the fullest, in fact, my 16 y.o. uses it to mash together ipod snaps of bmx stuff more than I use it. Has anyone compared it to PS? I've never used PS.

Nothing compares to PS and I will not waste any time learning alternatives, that may become vaporware.

Tried GIMP. It's a bad joke.

ymmv
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by profvandegraf View Post
    I have Affinity Photo, it works quite well but after 20+ years of doing things the Adobe way, it is hard to change my habits.
    T

i downloaded the afinety trial. the software seems very nice.
    if it is just contrast levels and sizing and retouching seems like a worthwhile investment ... but some stuff might not be as easy or intuitive.
    i only really use PS for a few things including "saving for the web" and using "color channels" for making tri chromes .....
    the trial lasted 10 days. i fiddled around for hours to see what the deal was. middle of the road stuff seemed fine ... BUT
    for me to "save for the web" which is 1 step in PS ( even elements ? ) it was a painful 6-7 step process ... { i never save large uncompressed jpgs for the web )
    and i was never able to figure out how to drag and drop images into color channels ( not sure if you can do this with elements ? ) with PS it was a simple 1 step process
    it isn't set up the same with afffinety, there are more steps, more channels, files, rasterization, and other things to deal with ( read a PITA ).
    while they have a HUGE tutorial video selection which is great and even one for making fake technicolor images from a digital file ( sort of like making tri chromes but different ) it was useless.
    i couldnt' make the leap, 20 year PS habits are hard to break free from.
    i went to their forum ( there is no pre-sales and no tech support ) it took 3 days for my questions to
    appear in the forum ( supposed to take 2 hours ? ) moderators and admin don't respond to messages for 12-14+ days, and as murphy's law suggests, no one was able to help / post suggestions until 1 day after my 10 trial expired. ....
    contacting customer support ( 1-800 # ) was anything but a useful experience, they were not the most helpful or friendly bunch. just the experience of trying to deal with support has made it worth
    me spending my $$ elsewhere.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    I paid $15 for pixelmator and have yet to find the time or the need to use it to the fullest, in fact, my 16 y.o. uses it to mash together ipod snaps of bmx stuff more than I use it. Has anyone compared it to PS? I've never used PS.
    IMO Pixelmator is more akin to Photoshop Elements than full fledged Photoshop. I've tried just about every piece of image editing software out there over the last 16 years and nothing, except, maybe, PhotoLine, comes even close to PS.

Well, I despair of ever getting where I want to go in the darkroom. If I ever get a scanner (or a macro lens and learn to stitch images) and printer capable of what I want to do with the LF photos and update my computer, I will have to keep PS seriously in mind. If nothing else, if I could really get from 4x5 or 5x7 to enormous enlarged negatives, I might finally put my ULF dreams to the side. Problem is, I like making things as much or more than the really hard part of finding an image and tweaking it into something special, so I can pretend I'm doing artwork while building cameras...so I might build the ULF camera anyway.