Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do manufacturers determine tripod capacity?

How do manufacturers determine tripod capacity?

Hi,

How do manufactures determine the maximum capacity of a tripod? They put accelerometers and detect maximum vibration dampening as adding weights? Evan a unloaded tripod e.g. light weight camera can increase vibrations; Sometimes photographers attach weights to their tripod to increase stability. So how do they do to check the maximum load.

thanks,

Jacques

Good question for which I have no answer ; a difference in the used test protocol could explain major differences in nominal load capacities between Berlebach and Wolf wooden tripods ;-);-)

I suspect there is no iso standards about this topic. Probably, manufacturers have their own calibration system that could be different for each brand. If not, why some funny plastic toy-tripods support on the specs more weight that another first brand all-metal tripods? Also, I suppose there are another commercial arguments like product positioning in the market, specs lists and brochures, price policy, etc.

The maximum load only gives me an orientative data. In my opinion, rigidity is the reference.

I agree wiht Jose and I dare to add that I have never seen any rating in torque capacity for off-centre loads. This might be as important as nominal specs for a perfectly centered weigth on top of a ball-head or a 3-way head. Vibration damping is even more difficult to characterize in simple terms.

The maximum capacity of a tripod has nothing to do with vibrations. It is decided simply on calculations of the mechanical strength of critical tripod parts, i.e. joints, legs flexing and eventually the tripod head parts.

Octogenarian

With tripod heads, the capacity is determined by how much weight can be put on the head before it begins to slip and can no longer be locked down tightly. A tripod head will usually slip out of adjustment before the metal or plastic parts break from the weight of the camera. Many photogs prefer to carry their tripod over their shoulder, with the camera mounted. That technique requires a strong, slip- proof connection between the camera and the head, as well as a solidly built tripod head.

I'd heed the answers from Jose and Emanuel and add that, like most things photographic for which there is no standard, there is likely to be more hype and less reality in tripods aimed at a consumer market than in those used by professionals. Given the cost of replacing a camrea or lens v. the cost of a tripod I feel it is always wise to err by being conservative. I have no LF field tripod loads that exceeds a centered weight of ~ 12 pounds but all the tripods I use are rated for well above that weight.

They make up a number and then their lawyers make them cut it in half. Most tripods can easily support well more than they claim.

I think that most tripods and heads can support more than twice their rated capacity without collapsing, but can't support half their rated capacity without vibrating. Where's that cubic yard of concrete with the 1/4"-20 screw on top?

I've seen old ads where Lester Bogen used to sit on his rebadged Manfrottos. Then he imported some monopods and the ads suddenly stopped.