Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tripod for Field 4x5

Re: Tripod for Field 4x5

I have a Ries and a Gitzo 2 series. Both excellent. Guess which one I carry when I travel??? Yup, the Gitzo. I'm extremely happy with it. I got an FLM ball head from Ari - outstanding piece of gear and the Gitzo with the FLM head on it still fits in the Gitzo carry bag.

And I have a Libec video tripod - looks a lot like the one in Terry's photos. Wonderful for the heavier cameras. I normally use it as intended for video, but it's perfectly happy with my 8 x 10 Kardan Bi on it. One of the nicest thing about video pods can be seen in the first picture in Terry's post - you can see a small tube hanging down below the head. That's the clamp for a half "ball" that fits into a bowl built into the tripod and it allows a leveling adjustment of around 15 degrees BELOW the panning head so the pan will be level. Common sense if you're shooting video and pan while recording, but really nice for stills cameras as well because you can pan as an adjustment without having to re-level the camera. Many video pods can also attach a mid-level spreader which is a good idea with a heavier camera.
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 15-Jun-2016 at 23:52.

I have one of the 4x5 Zone VI cameras made by Wista in the mid 1980s. Its a bit smaller and lighter than the "true" Zone VI made in Vermont by Richard Ritter. I regularly us it on an older Velbon Carmagne CF tripod with a Velbon magnesium ball-head. At my age, weight is a significant issue.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Heck. I just sold somebody a total piece of crap import CST survey tripod for $75 yesterday (brand new), and even it has far better support than the average pro camera tripod. I could have sold him a domestic wood and fiberglass one for under $200 with a lifetime warranty. So don't forget about that kind of option. All you need to do is switch out the 5/8 turnknob for 3/8. Of course, I wouldn't personally be caught with anything less than a genuine Ries under such circumstances. Otherwise, I use CF Gitzo and Feisol units when minimal weight is the priority.
    I agree with Drew about not using anything less than a Ries in the field. However, I prefer my three Ottos because in equivalent sizes they are lighter and stronger. I also prefer their heads. But above all, I won't even think of a metal tripod in the field, too hot in summer, too cold in winter. Additionally, wood dampens vibrations much better than metal.

One of my favorite tripods is my Majestic with a large 6"x6" square platform.
    I was recently trying to photograph some sunflowers in my yard. I was using my Zone VI camera with my vintage Ries tripod and head. It was giving me fits, but maybe it was just me trying to setup the camera before the heat really kicked in. I gave up on the Ries tripod and retrieved the Majestic out of the garage. I set it up with in a few seconds and it is steady as a rock. It may be too heavy for hiking, but for short distances, it is not too bad. I purchased the Majestic tripod with head for $100. USD. I have not tried this tripod with my 8x10 Kodak 2D, but it can handle a 4x5 with no problems what so ever.

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by santoroman View Post
    So I picked up a new (new to me) Zone VI 4x5 field camera the other day and I've been stuck on which tripod would be the best. I'm not looking to drop my 401K on a new tripod being I just dropped some cash on the camera setup. Thoughts? Suggestions? Lottery numbers? anything would help.

santo
    For well under $500: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...57#post1336657