Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To get out of ULF or not?

Re: To get out of ULF or not?

FWIW there's a Masters in Documentary Photography at the London College of Communication, 2 years part-time, taught online, I did it myself, excellent course and tutors. The fees I'm sure will be substantially less than what you're paying now and you'll have an MA from a highly rated college with an ex magnum photographer as course leader. They take about 20 students per year and there are students scattered all over the world, some working pros, some part-time, some career conversion, my 2 cents, what the others say about selling gear is true. I have gotten out of 5x4 and 8x10 several times and and have found ways to get back in. It's easy to become attached to gear, I'm as guilty as anyone, but you can buy back the gear, when you're no longer a student and making some money it will be easier. In case you're interested the course starts every January, applications from around August.

good luck, D

Foamer

Re: To get out of ULF or not?

I'll add some thoughts, from a practical Midwesterner. I agree that you should avoid piling up debt. That is bondage of your very soul and will cripple you, especially for a field as uncertain as art. I do agree that an MFA is critical for your goals, but you might consider a plan B as well, such as a minor in marketing. That combined with the MFA will give an option of getting into the art "business" such as selling it, selling supplies, etc. You might also consider that it's possible your interest will change. When I graduated high school I wanted to be an archeaologist. I ended up with a degree in business administration and 20 years later a degree in medical science. I spent most of my adult life selling pharmaceuticals! You currently have yourself spread too thinly. I suggest picking two formats and selling off the rest. One might be 4x5, for the economy and convenience of using it, plus one ULF. You need to begin concentrating your resources better.

You are in a tough spot in your personal life, one that generally comes later for most people, when they are better prepared. I'd say you are doing the right thing in this regard. Just keep yourself moving as best you can. It does get better.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!