Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150mm (ish) Lens Recommendations? Graflex Super Graphic

Re: 150mm (ish) Lens Recommendations? Graflex Super Graphic

I'm a big fan of the 135mm length so I replaced the Optar on my Super Graphic, that was also having shutter issues, with a Nikkor-W 135mm. Great lens and it falls into your price range.

Thanks, I'll look at that one.

I also like a 135mm and went from a 135mm Tessar to a 135mm f5.6 Caltar S-II (Symmar S). One thing you'd notice is how much better a modern plasmat like the Symmar S, Sironar N, Nikokor-W is at the edges and corners wider than f22 and also there's more room for movements.

Ian

[QUOTE=IanG;1318989 One thing you'd notice is how much better a modern plasmat like the Symmar S, Sironar N, Nikokor-W is at the edges and corners wider than f22 and also there's more room for movements.

Ian[/QUOTE]

Yes, but wide-open the Optar is brighter for focusing. Don't waste your money.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You aren't making this easy.

Les

Not sure I can recommend it, since I haven't tested yet, but Ektar 152mm F4.5 sounds like a good lens. I think you should be able to pick one up for $200 or less.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Not sure I can recommend it, since I haven't tested yet, but Ektar 152mm F4.5 sounds like a good lens. I think you should be able to pick one up for $200 or less.

Les
    Before I bought my 135mm Caltar I'd begun using a 150mm f4.5 CZJ T (coated) Tessar, it's a nice lens better coverage than a 135mm Tessar on 5x4, I bought the cells on this forum actually very inexpensive then found a shutter. The 152mm f4.5 Ektar would be similar (a lens never sold here in the UK).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I can't say I've really noticed a huge difference in practice except that the original Graflex GG screens are dim compared to newer screens.

Quote Originally Posted by clineco View Post
    You aren't making this easy.
    It's worth looking for another shutter, they do turn up and at reasonable prices, I have a few spare Alphax shutters, including two smaller ones that have never been used and didn't pay much for them (less than $30 each).

Again it's well worth your while placing a wanted advert here, I picked up a mint lokking 90mm Raptar Wide at a Flea market 2 years ago but someone had removed the aperture blades, I found a nice Graphex shutter with the correct aperture scale here, accurate at all speeds.

Ian

Carpenter

Fujinon 135mm is a great inexpensive lens. I keep one on my supergraphic and have no complaints as it can easily handle any movements I can dish out with the camera. I have the older "inside lettering" version in seiko shutter. Check the 'bay. You could easily get into a nicely maintained version of the 135mm (or 150mm) for under $200.