Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Impression of Epson 4990

First Impression of Epson 4990

Wow! For scanning 4x5's the quality is very close to if not equal to the Imacon. The shadow detail is unreal, dmax is very high. No comparison to the Epson 4870, despite what others say, my impression it is a huge improvement. The 4990 no longer using multisampling, you just don't need it. Compusa has the units in stock and they don't have a restocking fee. My two year old Microtek 1800f is for sale.

I can't say anything about an Imacon or 4870, but my first 2 scans from the 4990 are revealing.

For a first scan all I did was use a simple bow curve to lighten because the preview looked too dark. The first 2400dpi scan from 4x5 pulled an amazing amount of shadow detail and left plenty of room for adjustments. It was nearly as saturated as the original. With just a touch of color correction it matched the slide.

For a 2nd scan, I placed the emulsion side down, used a bow curve to lighten, 16X multiscanning, digital ice on--let it run overnight and the results were less saturated and it looks less sharp. Digital ice worked as advertised.

First impressions--it seems like the scanner can do a lot by simply using Lasersoft's auto adjustments, or small variations from there. It's time for some test prints to see how much detail there is.

Let it run overnight? ...Woof!

Hi

What type of film holder does this Epson 4990 use to hold 4x5 transparencise, and how much of the transparency is cropped by the holder. Am I correct to assume this scanner uses a "glassless" 4x5 transparency holder ???

Thanks

Craig "In the market for a New Scanner" Maxwell

16X multisampling takes a long time.... probably 2 hours.

David,

Takes two hours and produces an unsharp scan? Then what good is it? I have zero experience with any scanner other than that the lab I use seems to do ok.

Am I right that this is just a film scanner, and it can't do reflective scanning? If so, is it good enough that I can use it instead of my Minolta SD IV for 35 mm. I have limited desk space, and I do need to leave space for a flatbed which can do reflective scanning, such as my current Epson 3200. I don't need the highest quality for 35 mm, but I do want at least what I can achieve with the SD IV.

What is the difference between the 4990 and the 4990Pro? I read B&H spec/features tab and the descriptions are identical; but the price is about $75.00 different. Thanks

Larry,

The difference is in the software bundle.

Epson Perfection 4990 PHOTO

<li>CD-ROM with LaserSoft Imaging™ SilverFast® SE 6</li>

Epson Perfection 4990 PHOTO Pro

<li>CD-ROM with LaserSoft Imaging™ SilverFast® Ai 6
    <li>CD-ROM with ArcSoft® Suite
    <li>Monaco EZcolor™ and IT8 Targets</li>

See http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/ProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-8172

AFAIK the only differences between the two 'models' of the 4990 are the software offered with the scanner. For that matter I believe the only real difference betweent he 4990 and the 4870 is its ability to handle 8x10 transparancies.