Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Load capacity wood tripods

Load capacity wood tripods

I’m looking for a new wooden tripod to put my 4x5 Zone vi camera on, and are currently looking at both Berleback and Wolf-Wood Line which look’s more than a bit alike. The given load capacity for the two brands seems however NOT to match.. Where Berleback states 8-10 kg, Wolf-Wood line would state 20-25 kg… Are this apples vs apples or dynamic vs static loads ?? Or Appels vs Bananas ?

The Zone Vi weighs ca 3 kg + lens, so the Berlebach capacity seems fine, however I would appreciate a large as possible margin (an possible growth potential to at least 5x7 :-)

Comments ? And real life experience with these tripods?

Best regards
    Morten :-)

the notion that the berleback can only hold c.20lbs is ridiculous. it can support much more than that. toilet paper spoils and cellotape can hold 20lbs. having said that, just hope the day never arrives when your camera/lens weighs more than 20 lbs.

anyway, gotta get a reis.

I have a Berlebach that's rated for around 20lbs, and I regularly put over 30lbs on it. I think the Berlebach numbers are ultra-conservative. With a 30lb load, my Berlebach is rock-steady, even in a stiff breeze. I think I could add another 20lbs with no trouble at all, although (thankfully!) I have no camera to test that.

Eric Woodbury

I don't have experience with either of those tripods and I don't know how they figure the load. I use a wooden tripod. It is a Miller tripod that is used for cinema cameras. It is very strong and could support any camera I could lift up there. IMO the weakest part of any tripod is how the legs attach to the hub. If this is loosens up or is weak, then the camera can twist in the wind. I've found the best ones to have a pair of struts like most wooden tripods do. That said, they get better the farther apart those struts are spread at the mounting point. This resists torsion. The Miller I'm using has about 3" between struts.

The next limiter is the head. Find a tripod head that is strong enough to support your camera.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

MortenK,

I ordered a Berlebach 3032 from B&H a few days ago and it arrived today.
    Specs say it will support 26.5 pounds. I absolutely believe it!
    Beautiful tripod, excellent craftsmanship. Price did not reflect the US/Germany exchange rate.

Greg

I have a Berlebach UNI 17 tripod. It is rock solid. Load capacity is way underrated IMO. I would put any camera on top of it in complete confidence. The center ball is great to work with.
    One caveat: be sure to always connect the legs with a chain on this tripod if you can not kick the spikes in the ground or secure them between rocks or something! The legs will splay out on a smooth surface. I use an O ring with three bits of chain attached for this purpose. The legs are factory fitted with hooks to attach it. (Berlebach sells an accessory chain to secure the legs, but you can get a much better deal at your local hardware store I am sure, and pick your own length.)
    I have no experience with Ries or Wolf.

Re: Load capacity wood tripods

Is there a U.S. distributor for Wolf-Wood Line tripods? Are other Berlebach models available in the U.S. ?

I have 2 Berlebach's - a 7023 & 8032 - both are very solid.

I bought from http://www.photobooksonline.com/ with no problems & they also sell on ebay sometimes.

I have one of the original Zone VI wood tripods. Like new. If you have an interest let me know. It will support any reasonable load that I can imagine. I live in the Dallas -Ft. Worth area.

Bob

"Are other Berlebach models available in the U.S. "

We stock what Berlebach tells us are the most popular tripods in their Report series. However we can order any Berlebach tripod you want in the Report, UNI or Astro series. You place your order with ypur dealer and they order it from us.