Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Load capacity wood tripods

Re: Load capacity wood tripods

Some of have been involved in photography long enough to remember the old advertisments for Bogen tripods (made by Manfrotto) - they featured a picture of Lester Bogen sitting on a platform attached to the top of the tripod, and the text said that tripods that wouldn't meet that test wouldn't carry the Bogen label.

I use a Tiltall with my Zone VI lightweight - it's strength is more than adequate for that camera, and its flexibility/functionality as a tripod is adequate for most situations that don't required getting close to the ground. The price for strength is weight, and it does get heavy afte a few hours of hiking.

I've looked at Berlebach tripods, and I wouldn't be the least bit hesitant to put my camera on one. There is no question in my mind that they are strong enough.

You know, when you visit a brewery, they always give you a free sample at the end of the tour. I wonder if its possible to get a tour of the Berlebach factory?
    Last edited by Louie Powell; 4-Oct-2006 at 10:26.

Louie,

Before Lester sat on the tripods Linhof advertised people walking across their tripods and in 1957 ran shots of a guy sitting on a Linhof tripod while holding an 8x10 Technika III. This might be where Lester got the idea to sit on the Manfrottos.

As for a Berlebach tour? Probably possible but not for a free sample. However they did make and send out some Berlebach ash wood barbeque tongs last year for Christmas.

Lester didn't look too comfortable sitting atop his pod. Hope he used a quick release plate.

hehe

Beware the splaying problems that Jan mentions. Note that non-stopped legs, common on wooden tripods, also make setup and levelling more difficult. Wood is pretty, though.

I guess it depends on the model, but my Berlebach (a 2022 I think) has a rotating cam at the top of each leg that determines how far the leg can splay out. From memory there are three settings: 30 degrees, 45 degrees and unlimited movement.

I have the Berlebach 3002 which is rated for 12 kg (26 lbs). It is rock solid and of high quality. I would highly recommend the product. I got mine from the Canadian distributor
    Rob Skeoch at bigcameraworkshops.com. Rob carries them in a nut brown finish that really brings out the beauty of the wood.

Actually for a given weight in wood is stronger than the same weight in steel.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Morten,

In the past short while, I've seen Berlebach pods supporting 8x10 cameras without any problems whatsoever. IIRC, it was a model 3402. So, it'll certainly support your Zone VI without a sneeze!

IIRC, the 3402 has markings on the legs, which should make leveling the pod a lot easier than it would be without the markings.

I'd gladly vouch for Rob Skeoch [www.bigcameraworkshops.com]... he's a great guy to deal with and will look after your requirements with a smile!

I'm currently using one of the lightweight (being facetious here ) aluminum pods (Manfrotto 475B with a 405 head)... so, I'm seriously thinking of buying one of these babies!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I've owned a Berlbach and Wolf. The Berlbach is better. More adjustments, and I think it is steadier.

Smile Re: Load capacity wood tripods

Thanks! ALL for your kind advices..

For the past year+, I have owned the Berlebach Reporter 3032 (single extenstion legs and built-in ballhead) Its Stable and also very good looking!! even with the Wizard 8x10 og the 5x7 Afga Ansco. Goes on the outside of my backpack. I picked the tripod up at a very good price from the German ebay site (less shipping cost than from the US)

Best Regards
    Morten