Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Guelph

Hello from Guelph

I began shooting 35mm in 2002, graduated to 120 in 2007, and had the itch to go bigger in 2010 or so. I had a false start with a late Linhof Technika III which needed a new bellows. There was a local technician who was going to replace them for a reasonable price who unfortunately passed away. I received a quote for bellows replacement from the factory authorized Linhof repair centre which was considerably more than I paid for the camera so I elected not to do it (the cost was close to the price of a used Tek IV in good shape).

Fast forward to now and I have acquired an Arca Swiss F-line Classic which I have made about 20-30 exposures on. I haven't used movements very much as I'm having trouble thinking beyond parallel lenses and film planes... but the details in the negs are extremely addictive! The only lens that I have is a bit of a piece of junk... by design it is a lower tier enlarging lens that Linhof sold for a time (Schneider Componar 135 f4.5 mounted in a Compur shutter) and it came basically for free with the Tech III. It is all right for macro but movements are limited as sharpness falls off rather quickly out of centre and quickly looks like a lens baby (looking at eBay it actually costs less than a lens baby).

I just purchased 135mm and 210mm Sironars and can't wait to try them out. I will be going on a road trip through the American southwest next month and hope to shoot a ton of film, although I should probably acquire more holders; 4 may not be enough! I don't yet know how often I will have access to a dark(enough)room. What do others do on the road? Changing bag/tent? Or towel at the bottom of the bathroom door in hotels/motels?

Re: Hello from Guelph

From the Yukon, welcome to the forum!

For 4x5 a Harrison tent is really the ticket. Worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    From the Yukon, welcome to the forum!

For 4x5 a Harrison tent is really the ticket. Worth every penny.
    Thanks! I've been eyeballing Harrison tents but thought it may be overkill. Reports of oily discharge and nasty smells scared me, but that is likely an environmental issue, and not likely to happen for years. I think I shall just suck it up and bite the bullet!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matted View Post
    I began shooting 35mm in 2002, graduated to 120 in 2007, and had the itch to go bigger in 2010 or so.
    Except for the start date, the dates are about the same for me.

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Welcome! A Harrison tent is certainly worth its price, though if you need to save on packed space, a Harrison changing bag is good, too.
    4x5 film holders are cheap, stock up on as many as you can travel with; bring a couple of empty film boxes as well.
    If your lenses need repair, Roger at Camtech in Hamilton does a good job on all things LF.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matted View Post
    Changing bag/tent?
    I recommend http://www.freestylephoto.biz/25001-...-Changing-Room
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Welcome aboard! FWIW Motel 6 is known for windowless bathrooms.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome from the GTA !

The Freestyle changing tent is very room to use but takes up space when folded. The Harrisons are very luxe, I have the reg and xl tents. Not sure if you can still buy them but if coating deterioration etc are a concern, look at Shadow Box changing tents, They're cotton so a bit heavier but I find they have a bit more 'ceiling height' and slightly roomier.

Of get a regular changing bag and put a frame or box inside to create volume. But yeah, if you're hotel/ mottling, then the towel trick works fine and you'll have more working space to load holders.

Have a great trip !
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

tech III bellows are easy to do yourself

get a bellows from that guy on ebay, use the frame you have on the current bellows

easy-peasy - 30 minute job

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Except for the start date, the dates are about the same for me.

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Thanks Sirius!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Welcome! A Harrison tent is certainly worth its price, though if you need to save on packed space, a Harrison changing bag is good, too.
    4x5 film holders are cheap, stock up on as many as you can travel with; bring a couple of empty film boxes as well.
    If your lenses need repair, Roger at Camtech in Hamilton does a good job on all things LF.
    Thanks Ari! I hadn't heard of Camtech before. Good to know there is a local resource. Think he could do a CLA of my Arca F-line? Some of the 0 detents are a bit off and one or two of the movements have a slight amount of slop. It would be great to avoid having to send it to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Welcome aboard! FWIW Motel 6 is known for windowless bathrooms.
    That is great to know. Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Welcome from the GTA !

The Freestyle changing tent is very room to use but takes up space when folded. The Harrisons are very luxe, I have the reg and xl tents. Not sure if you can still buy them but if coating deterioration etc are a concern, look at Shadow Box changing tents, They're cotton so a bit heavier but I find they have a bit more 'ceiling height' and slightly roomier.

Of get a regular changing bag and put a frame or box inside to create volume. But yeah, if you're hotel/ mottling, then the towel trick works fine and you'll have more working space to load holders.

Have a great trip !
    Great advice! Harrison tents are available but quite expensive. The current dollar situation is not very good for USA products. Thanks!