Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My wolly 159mm is soo dark, what do you guys do?

Re: My wolly 159mm is soo dark, what do you guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I was checking screens a few years ago an measured the difference between an original Graflex Crown Graphic GGscreen and a new GG screen, there was a 2 stop difference with a fresnel this was 3½ stops. I used a meter and also comparative visual evaluation, both matched.

Ian
    It's too late to edit the above, in fact the 3½ stop increase in brightness was between the original Graflex screen (which was very clean) and my Wista combo screen/fresnel. The new screen for the Crown Graphic when it had a fresnel fitted to the rear and was 3 stops brighter than the original. That's overall brightness in all cases.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Good point, Michael. I'll have to consider it a 'special use' lens. In my series of portraits of my boys in the environment, the Wollie did help me produce one of my favorites...
    Vaughn, thats a great portrait of your boys. I have 159mm f/9 and its can be a stinker if any flare is present but if careful it works great and has its own signature, like to use it with "ole' Jake" my B&J 5x7 camera.

Scott Davis

Although I haven't used it for a while, I have shot with my Wolly (an f12.5 with the purple W 'WoCoated') on my Canham 5x12. I haven't had problems with the corners darkening on the film when stopped down, but they do get soft. It's my recollection that there is quite a bit of sample variation from lens to lens in the 159mm. So it doesn't surprise me that some folks have issues with it and others don't.

Earth, California, US, SoCal, damn suburbs

Thanks for all the replies. I do think I have a weird sample. I tried it on my Chamonix 4x5 and it is a little brighter but still it doesn't look sharp at all. But hey, it wasn't expensive and an equivalent +-150mm range is gonna be super beyond my budget!

A cheap laser pointer is a useful aid.

Earth, California, US, SoCal, damn suburbs

I do the old studio trick of using a magazine or a book or newspaper to focus. If the words are sharp...

When I first bought my 159mm I could not get a sharp image on the ground glass, so I took the lens cells off the shutter and discovered that some one had flipped the inner most lens in the cell. I flipped it right over and its worked fine since then.

That's funny, got exactly the same experience, I later "upgraded" to 165mm Angulon, mainly because the Wolly would also "see" the bed of my Toyo 810M when in portrait mode..

Best,

Cor
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    When I first bought my 159mm I could not get a sharp image on the ground glass, so I took the lens cells off the shutter and discovered that some one had flipped the inner most lens in the cell. I flipped it right over and its worked fine since then.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmaquiling View Post
    I do the old studio trick of using a magazine or a book or newspaper to focus. If the words are sharp...
    That works : I use a retail bar-code panel from some clothing tag or cereal box.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ericmaquiling View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can I use a fresnel of some type to see a little better with my Wolly 159mm?
    Darn thing is so dark even on a good day
    I have an f-18 B&L Protar which I have very little difficulty focusing on a normal sunlit day with my 87 year old eyes. Perhaps those who have problems should have their eyes checked for cataracts. They may find them present, regardless of age.