Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Chamomix 4x5 or used Wista, Zone VI....

New Chamomix 4x5 or used Wista, Zone VI....

I know that I will get a lot of opinions, but I am thinking of moving up from my Burke & James Press to a "true" 4x5 field camera.

Since a new Chamonix is about the same price as a used Wista, Zone VI, etc., which is the better choice? I love the look of the Chamonix in the photos on their web site, but looks do not necessarily equate to function. I appreciate your thoughts. Ebony and Canham are way out of my budget.

Of course, I can just stick with my B&J and have a lot of $$ for film, chemicals and the like.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: New Chamomix 4x5 or used Wista, Zone VI....

The chamonix is the most versatile if you want to use short/long lenses. It's rock solid. Get one and sell it for very little loss if you don't like it.

It depends a bit one what you want to shoot, and you're style. For landscape photography, I use 120mm, 210mm, 90mm, 300mm and 450mm lenses, going from most used to least. I have a Toyo 45AX, which are great bargains these days. I've owned and used Sinar, Arca Swiss, Ebony, Kodak, Horseman, Chamonix, Toho, and probably a few others, but I prefer the Toyo, especially given it's cost. It's solid and very fast to use. I didn't like the rear locking arrangement on the Chamonix, as adding rear extension can also change alignment. Obviously, lot's of people use these cameras with great success. It was just something I didn't like.
    The Toyo probably isn't as good with lenses wider than 90mm or so, and to get up to 450mm, I use an extension. For me, those things, and the slight amount of added weight, don't matter much. They might for you.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Lachlan 717

What's missing from the B&J?

If it's not doing something that you think you need for your shooting, then, of course, look elsewhere.

But, when you peel back the layers of the onion, these are just boxes that you bung a lens on one end and an organic component on the other.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Richard Johnson

I've had a lot of cameras too. The Chamonix/Phillips is a wonderful value, very robust yet lightweight... great for a moderate range of lenses with movements. The only downsides I can think of is that it won't fold up with a small lens mounted (like the Wista and Linhof field cameras will - but the Toyo will not) and that extreme focal lengths are compromises (as they would be with most compact field cameras).

Come to think of it, the only advantage of the Wista/Zone VI is folding up with a small 135 mounted. The Chamonix will be more solid and allow great movements.

I have never even held one but if I were buying a 4x5 today I would want a Chamonix.

When Frank Petronio failed to call it a matchstick camera, bought one and praised it's rigidity I was sold on Chamonix. I believe Frank eventually sold it and went back to a Crown Graphic but hey, that"s Frank!

Affordable price new, rigid, versatile, light weight and pretty. Of course everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Foamer

I own a small pile of cameras, and the Chamonix 045n is my favorite.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Yes I like my F1 a lot too. Wish I could afford an 8x10". Only downside is the bellows don't allows for IR shooting. There are the Argentum cameras too, they seems lower priced but Ive never seen one live so can't comment.
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    Only downside is the bellows don't allows for IR shooting.
    I shoot both Rollei IR400 and Efke IR820 in my 2012 45N2 with no issues at all.

Really?? Vauv then Ill try it out for myself. In -13, I think there was some talk about it and I recall the outcome was it wasn't IR opaque. IIRC even Hugo Chang should have said so. But if it's possible it's possible no matter what they say. Me like
    Best regards
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting