Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Chamomix 4x5 or used Wista, Zone VI....

Re: New Chamomix 4x5 or used Wista, Zone VI....

Thos was one of the threads from that time that led me to believe the chamonix bellows is not IR-opaque
    http://apug.org/forum/index.php?thre...f.48552/page-3
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    Thos was one of the threads from that time that led me to believe the chamonix bellows is not IR-opaque
    http://apug.org/forum/index.php?thre...f.48552/page-3
    I started that thread. My camera wasn't usable with IR film. I now have the 45n-2 and I'm not sure if I've tried IR or not...........

Jmontague, there are lots of different options, the ones you mention are quite different between them. We don`t know about you and your shooting style, or your preferences.

Which B&J do you have? Field, monorail, press? Think that there are differences in the setup time (operational speed), the "positiveness" of the zero detents, the length of the bellows, the movements (architecture vs. portraiture), weight, price, versatility, handling, manufacturing quality, parts availability, etc. Canhams and Ebonys are great, but they may not suit your needs (or more important, your preferences).

The ones I use most are technical type ones (actually my favorite is the oldest I have); but right now I`m in a project that ask for long lenses, so I`m switching to a studio monorail with an extra bellows. I`m happy I`ll have the possibility of back shift and focus ability.tilting swing movement.

Personally, I consider very important the ease of working with tilt (swing) movements. If you use to tilt, it may worth to check yaw free models.

But at the end, if your B&J suits you well, why to spend on another? Or maybe it could be a good idea to buy a complementary one (e.g. Press > monorail). Or maybe you`d be better with a tripod upgrade, or better lenses, or whatever other thing to improve your photography.

I have a Wista-made Zone VI. I like it and it is a visual jewel. However the bellows draw is limited and, camera is fragile . . .and it is now over thirty years old. For thi time being, it is what I have.

My recommendation would be to get the Chamonix. It is a new camera made with modern materials. It is rigid with light weight and has any movement you will need.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Is there something that your B&J won't do? Don't forget, you'll now have to drag along a tripod!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

the guy wants to buy a new camera and we're attempting to talk him out of it??????????????????????????????????

That's like my wife saying "what's wrong with the 4 routers you already own?"

Drew Wiley

I think you're on the right track already. Chamonix looks like a nice product for the money. But glad I bought my Ebony when they were about half the price they
    are now!

A man doesn't need a reason to want another camera. A brand new one is always a good thing.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    A man doesn't need a reason to want another camera. A brand new one is always a good thing.
    You are a wise man, Drew!

Thanks for all your input. There is certainly nothing wrong with the B&J Press. In fact it has lots to like: front tilt, rise and fall, and shift. No swing, however, unless I turn the camera in its side and use the tilt like it is swing. There are also no back movements but, with the drop bed, I can simulate modest rear back tilt. So, it is pretty versatile for a press camera.

I also have a Toyo 45G rail camera, but that is quite the beast to take on a hike. I really want to learn the use of all possible movements, which the Toyo is great for. But I would like that versatility in the field, as well.

Ok, let's face it, I just want a new toy that is also a great tool for me as my skills grow.