Thread: How do i connect a Beseler Dichro DG-1 system to my enlarger?

How do i connect a Beseler Dichro DG-1 system to my enlarger?

I purchases a Beseler 45mx enlarger with the Dichro DG-1 head but dont know how to connect all the components. The head connects to the transform then the transformer to the enlarger and then the enlarger to the blower? Where in the line do i connect the line voltage stabilizer?

Thanks

Re: How do i connect a Beseler Dichro DG-1 system to my enlarger?

Pictures and links to manuals would be needed.

I have one of these in my hoard. I do remember that the transformer mounts to the enlarger motor carriage and there is a spring wound tape that goes from the transformer to the top of the enlarger, this acts like a roller shade spring, otherwise you will overload your lift motor. I'm going to have to go look. Just make sure you set it up so you never turn on the lamps without the blower, it will fry the lamps asap. This really is probably the best head Beseler ever made, though I have converted over to the newer head.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but try this. The head plugs into the transformer, the transformer plugs into your timer, and the timer plugs into the blower. Then plug the blower into the wall. This way, whenever you have power to the head you have air flow. The enlarger motor cord just goes to another wall outlet.
    Or I will try to find a manual. I need to check. Just don't turn on the lamps without the blower!
    Good luck, Mike

I looked at my old head. The transformer was originally intended to plug into the motor outlet, mine had a resistrol, which needed to be set to max voltage.. You then plug your enlarger into the blower ,the blower gets plugged into the wall. You would use a manual switch plugged into the switch outlet to power the transformer that the powered the head.

This is not how I did it.
    1. Plug blower and enlarger directly into a wall outlet
    2. Plug head into transformer, then plug transformer cord,you will need a short extension cord, to a Digital timer, i.e. Gra-Lab 450. Then plug the timer into the blower.
    3. Now, your enlarger elevation motor works always.
    4. Your blower power switch turns on the blower and powers up the timer..
    5. When you push the focus button on the timer your head will light up you can compose etc.
    6. Switch the timer back to time set your timer,push the button and your head will come on for set time.
    7 . Your blower will run continuously as long as you have power to the timer so you can't burn up your head.
    8. If you have a stabilizer, a big old Sola or something like that plug it into the wall and plug the blower into that. I've been printing color a long time, never had a problem. That required a stabilizer, I had one, used it for a couple of years. I got rid of it didn't need it in my home darkroom.
    I used one of these heads for years, works great puts out a lot of light. It looks cool too!
    Best Regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I looked at my old head. The transformer was originally intended to plug into the motor outlet, mine had a resistrol, which needed to be set to max voltage.. You then plug your enlarger into the blower ,the blower gets plugged into the wall. You would use a manual switch plugged into the switch outlet to power the transformer that the powered the head.

This is not how I did it.
    1. Plug blower and enlarger directly into a wall outlet
    2. Plug head into transformer, then plug transformer cord,you will need a short extension cord, to a Digital timer, i.e. Gra-Lab 450. Then plug the timer into the blower.
    3. Now, your enlarger elevation motor works always.
    4. Your blower power switch turns on the blower and powers up the timer..
    5. When you push the focus button on the timer your head will light up you can compose etc.
    6. Switch the timer back to time set your timer,push the button and your head will come on for set time.
    7 . Your blower will run continuously as long as you have power to the timer so you can't burn up your head.
    8. If you have a stabilizer, a big old Sola or something like that plug it into the wall and plug the blower into that. I've been printing color a long time, never had a problem. That required a stabilizer, I had one, used it for a couple of years. I got rid of it didn't need it in my home darkroom.
    I used one of these heads for years, works great puts out a lot of light. It looks cool too!
    Best Regards, Mike
    My statement "This is not how I did it" is confusing. I didn't plug the transformer into the motor outlet. I followed the steps 1 through 8.

Thank you Mike!! The location of the Voltage stabilizer was my main issue and you cleared that up for me. I appreciate all your time explaining this to me.
    Thanks Again!!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim17x View Post
    Thank you Mike!! The location of the Voltage stabilizer was my main issue and you cleared that up for me. I appreciate all your time explaining this to me.
    Thanks Again!!
    Jim
    Don't forget to hook up the spring thingy! It took me 5 years before I even knew it was there! I got mine used too.
    Have fun, Mike

Perfect.. Thanks!