Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Searching for brass hardware - not having much luck

Re: Searching for brass hardware - not having much luck

Oh, by the way! The OP's first posting was of my camera from a old thread!

The UK version of that auction site produces a good handful of results for 'knurled thumb screws' in various metric and imperial threads though only a couple are brass; most are stainless or nickel plate.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mac View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. I like the way they are fitted through the holes that were already in the brass binding.

The nickel plated thumbscrews were once a common piece of hardware I'd imagine.

I will pick up some suitable bronze bar stock during the week. Thanks again.
    Sean, if you succeed, I'll be your first customer! ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Sean, if you succeed, I'll be your first customer! ha!
    The first four are yours and free.

Over the thirty four years since I started my apprenticeship I have drilled lots of holes and cut lots of threads

You can purchase the whole thing ready to mount on your camera. The AWB wind stabilizer from The View Camera Store.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    You can purchase the whole thing ready to mount on your camera. The AWB wind stabilizer from The View Camera Store.
    Yes, but it's crazy expensive, and even though it's not permanently mounted, (at least I don't think it is) to me it's like putting chrome mag wheels on your model T Ford. If I'm going to add something to the camera that isn't original, I'd like it to at least look like it *could* have been original. It's a sickness, I think. I restore old tube radios and sometimes I'll go so far as to hollow out the original capacitors and re-stuff them with new capacitors so they look original, even though nobody will probably ever see it.

No camera was ever sold with these as standard equipment afaik! There was quite a range of "extras" which the discerning owner could add.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Yes, but it's crazy expensive, and even though it's not permanently mounted, (at least I don't think it is) to me it's like putting chrome mag wheels on your model T Ford. If I'm going to add something to the camera that isn't original, I'd like it to at least look like it *could* have been original. It's a sickness, I think. I restore old tube radios and sometimes I'll go so far as to hollow out the original capacitors and re-stuff them with new capacitors so they look original, even though nobody will probably ever see it.
    Rael, Not really that expensive all things considered i.e. the price of film. Everything but the rod stays on the camera. I do understand the aesthetic issue (I have a reputation for being quite anal about it) but push come to shove it is a tool and a matter of function.

Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    Rael, Not really that expensive all things considered i.e. the price of film. Everything but the rod stays on the camera. I do understand the aesthetic issue (I have a reputation for being quite anal about it) but push come to shove it is a tool and a matter of function.
    Luckily 5x7 film is still relatively affordable. I'll probably never shoot 8x10 for that reason. I've never actually seen one of those modern aluminum kits up close. The pics at the view camera store don't zoom, and it's a thumbnail of the whole kit, so it's hard to see how they are mounted. You're right, it's a tool, but if I just wanted a tool I wouldn't be screwing around with a camera from the early 1900's. Half the kick I get out of using it is because it's old.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    As with all things camera, contact Richard Ritter.
    Richard quoted me $285 to $325 in brass. That's a hundred bucks more than I paid for the camera, so I'll have to pass, although I'll bet they'd be beautifully done.