Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivory Based Paper

Ivory Based Paper

Hello. I have been using Forte's Polywarmtone Art Semi-matte paper, which is a varibale contrast paper with ivory base. I have been using Dektol 1:2 to develop, and tone in Wynn Bullock's selenium formula that includes 3 oz. of permawash, for 4-5 minutes, a duration that does not seem to affect image tone. I like this paper very much because of the ivory base, but I don't seem to get very strong blacks, or very good separation in the blacks. I primarily contact print 8x10 Tri-X negatives developed in HC-110.

Anyone using this paper? What is your experience; what developer's are you using? Is anyone familar with other papers that have an ivory base, and available in glossy as well?

Thank you.

Ivory Based Paper

It wont answer all your needs, but seeing you are contact printing 8x10 negs, Azo in amidol is an obvious choice for a try. The rich deeply detailed shadows are a hallmark of Azo. Base is fairly nutral, and the surface is glossy. I bet a light coffee/tea stain could make an ivory base with a little experimentation. Azo can be toned to about any imaginable tone.
    Just a thought
    Brook

Octogenarian

Ivory Based Paper

Hi ng,

When the paper was first introduced, I printed almost everything on Forte Polywarmtone fiber based glossy paper. I usually made 11X14 enlargements (from 4X5 negatives), developed it in Zonal Pro warmtone developer, and toned with 1:19 Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner. It usually only required 3-5 minutes in the KRST until a definite color change took place. I really liked the results, especially for outdoor scenes that benefited from the warmtone look.

Then, Ilford introduced their Multigrade Warmtone paper. I tried it and compared it to the Forte paper. The Ilford glossy surfaced fiber based version is now the only paper that I print on, for both enlargements (up to 16X20), and contact prints (up to 8X10). Ilford Warmtone has a slightly creamy base, and I am able to get a very rich velvety brownish-black when I develope for 3 minutes in Ilford Multigrade developer, to which I add a small amount of I% Benzotriazole solution.

The problem you are experiencing with your inability to obtain strong blacks with the Forte paper may be a characteristic of the semi-matte surface, the type of printing light and VC filtration you are using, the type of developer, etc.,etc. Often, a problem like that can even be the result of safelight fog.

If you are searching for an alternative warmtone paper, by all means try the Ilford Warmtone in the Fiber base glossy surfaced version. Check your safelight, and develope to completion. A developer that contains Glycin adds to the warmtone effect. Check with Photographer's Formulary.

Ivory Based Paper

You might try increasing the concentration of selenium and using a higher temperature for the toning solution(80-85degF) I use this when I tone Ilford Multigrade RC and that is a paper that most feel can't be toned.

Ivory Based Paper

Thank you for your responses. I should note that Agfa Multicontrast Classic - fiber based, semi-matte paper is what I am comparing the Forte paper with. The Agfa has been very satisfactory (the paper I use most, both the semi-matte and glossy) with strong blacks when selenium toned. What I can't get from the Agfa paper is the ivory base that I really like in the Forte. I'm doing a personal project in the style of Paul Strand's later work in Scotland, France, Italy, etal. The ivory base of the Forte paper, to me, gives a nice vintage Strand look of that period, at least when compared to reproductions I've seen in the Aperture books.

I have only used really old Azo (from the 70s if I remeber correctly), which I gave to Michael Smith when he and Paula exhibited in my hometown. I didn't get very good results from the Azo I had for a variety of reasons, few of which can be attributed to the paper, but Smith and Chamalee's prints were wonderful, and certainly make a good case for their working methods. I have found the Ilford papers very good as well, and I'm still working through some graded Gallerie Ilfobrom. Agfa is my primary paper; developed in Dektol; Tri-X film, developed in HC-110. I try to keep it simple, but even so, I have much to learn about what can be done with these products.

Perhaps I need to work with the Forte more - try different developers and/or ratios - Dektol 1:3, etc.

Thanks again.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Ivory Based Paper

I can't recommend this paper- it's just not right to kill elephants for our photographic needs!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Ivory Based Paper

Have you tried Agfa Neutal WA withthe Forte? I'm just packing up to move and don't have my notebooks here, but I think it works best if the temperature is something about the "normal" 20c I don't remeber exactly offhand - 25c, 28c or somethign like that

It gives a very nice look

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ivory Based Paper

Ha - found it

Neutol WA @ 1:7 don't let the temperature drop below 68f (best probably around 70f) - I find the nice richeness, especially in the blacks if the developer temperature drops below 68f

Very very nice for contact prints

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Ivory Based Paper

Should be "I find it loses the nice richeness, especially in the blacks if the developer temperature drops below 68f "

tim

Ivory Based Paper

I've found all Forte semi-matt papers dry a little disappointingly. The darkest areas seem if any thing to lighten a bit, and even selenium won't get them wet looking again. The gloss versions are really good though. I,ve got some of that Forte ivory based paper that apparently has a 'natural' surface finish, that is supposed to be 'shinier' than semi-matt, but not at all glossy. Havn't tried it yet but looking foreward to it. I'll probably use D-163 (home made)