Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stand Development Issue 4x5" HP5Plus 400

Re: Stand Development Issue 4x5" HP5Plus 400

I remember Steve's article in View Camera magazine back in 1989 on extreme contraction. Back then it was Tri-x and very dilute HC-110. It opened doors for me regarding extreme zone techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by alanmcd View Post
    All, I'm focused on at this time is eliminating the underdeveloped edge. Or determining if it's an overexposure due to light leakage.
    First, we need to clarify whether this is increased or decreased density at the top (as placed in the tank). Underdevelopment would be reduced density and contrast, while overexposure due to a light leak would be increased density, mostly noticeable in the thin shadow areas and remaining fixed relative to the notch code regardless of tank loading orientation. If you're getting increased density and contrast that stay at the top of the tank whichever way you load the film, it's *overdevelopment*, likely due to oxidation of the developer at the standing surface (pyro and pyrocat are well known for increasing stain with increased oxidation, for instance, but I've seen other developers develop more toward the surface of the developer under low agitation).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I am using a MOD54 in the Paterson tank too. I also found increased density issues however mainly at the corners where turbulence in the solution would be greatest for the MOD54. I agitate using the twirl stick provided by the Paterson, rather than inversion. I would agitate every minute for 5 seconds. I appear to have solved my problem by agitating less vigorously (slow twirl) and only for 2 seconds every 60. I do not have a densitometer so am unable to provide empirical data. I am using Delta 100 film and 1 litre of D-76 at 1:1. My prints are now acceptable.

My only thoughts on stand development in the Paterson would be that the developer would be marginally warmer at the top of the tank over time, which would provide increased developer activity and increased density.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbar56au View Post
    I am using a MOD54 in the Paterson tank too. I also found increased density issues however mainly at the corners where turbulence in the solution would be greatest for the MOD54. I agitate using the twirl stick provided by the Paterson, rather than inversion. I would agitate every minute for 5 seconds. I appear to have solved my problem by agitating less vigorously (slow twirl) and only for 2 seconds every 60. I do not have a densitometer so am unable to provide empirical data. I am using Delta 100 film and 1 litre of D-76 at 1:1. My prints are now acceptable.

My only thoughts on stand development in the Paterson would be that the developer would be marginally warmer at the top of the tank over time, which would provide increased developer activity and increased density.
    Thanks. I have ruled out all my hardware now. It's definitely a development issue. I may try one stop less on my exposure and I will try the swirl next time not inversion.
    Alan

When using the mod54, I usually agitate for 10 seconds every minute or 3 to 5 times per 30 seconds. I always use the swirl stick. I haven't noticed irregular development with this approach.