Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster Instantograph - add to knowledge base?

Re: Lancaster Instantograph - add to knowledge base?

Looking great Gordon, beautiful job! Was wondering if you have had any difficulty with the old brass screws getting stripped out while taking it apart or putting it back together?

And if you are up for making Instantograph bellows, now that you are an expert, I would be in the market :-)

Cheers, Bob
    Last edited by Islandor; 27-May-2016 at 03:20. Reason: added a bit

Very nice.

Now I think I can contribute to fullfilling your future plans.
    I have an orphan 1/4 plate Lancaster back. These were made in several versions. The one I have is the Lancaster Patent version which a natty swing out GG frame and smart locking for slides. And the three matching double plate holders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Islandor View Post
    Looking great Gordon, beautiful job! Was wondering if you have had any difficulty with the old brass screws getting stripped out while taking it apart or putting it back together?

And if you are up for making Instantograph bellows, now that you are an expert, I would be in the market :-)

Cheers, Bob
    Thanks Bob! Because I can't yet reassemble fully - couple of reasons - one is I'm not really happy with the split base and I might have to acquire/make a new one; the other is the rear bellows frame isn't back properly yet - I don't yet know for sure whether the bellows will fold away as neatly as they have to in order for the camera to close i.e. is the leather/card strut/liner combination thin enough?
    Brass screws are generally a pain - sometimes they come out sweetly and other times they will not move and have to be drilled out. Then again the top comes away and leaves the shaft tightly in place. I've had all 3 scenarios with this one camera!
    If these work properly in the final scenario I'll think about making some more. The folding on mine is different from the original fold pattern - so I was thinking of re-doing with the correct pattern anyway.
    I made bellows for a half plate Gundlach-Manhattan Criterion and for a Century Grand 5x7 - sold the first camera to Britain's foremost expert on wet plate - he lectures in old photographic techniques at Manchester University. I thought he wanted it for the students - no way he replied! They're not getting near it! The second (Century) I used different material. It's a triple draw job (24 inch extension) and the material is too thick so they need re-done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Very nice.

I have an orphan 1/4 plate Lancaster back. These were made in several versions. The one I have is the Lancaster Patent version which a natty swing out GG frame and smart locking for slides. And the three matching double plate holders
    .......and this has brought a tear to my eye (old Scottish saying "that would bring a tear tae a gless een [glass eye])! I was beginning to despair of ever finding one.
    Are you willing to part with them Stephen? What do you want for them?
    Regards,
    Gordon

Cheers, Bob
    Someone told me - and it was confirmed when I started on this camera - that the screw heads all have to line up. The slots all point in the same direction. The camera makers would try them and if they didn't line up when tight, they took them out and filed them until they did. So that's your challenge!! In the end, all screws are unique to the hole that they go into - or you have to make them behave

Gordon, I had a feeling that there would be some trouble with the screws... had been thinking of trying some dis-assembly on mine but was hesitant, and will now hold off, indefinitely :-) Mines not in bad shape actually so some cosmetic work on the wood probably can be completed without taking it apart.

Great to see that Steven has was you need, should work out perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    .......and this has brought a tear to my eye (old Scottish saying "that would bring a tear tae a gless een [glass eye])! I was beginning to despair of ever finding one.
    Are you willing to part with them Stephen? What do you want for them?
    Regards,
    Gordon
    I was going to offer you a complete back as well but I've more of the camera so Steven's orphanage back would be better.

Steven, you don't have an orphaned front standard for one of these 1/4 plate Lancasters by any chance. I've a camera which I've not really thought about restoring it came in a box of wood/brass cameras I picked up last year.

Ian

Gordon, I had a feeling that there would be some trouble with the screws... had been thinking of trying some dis-assembly on mine but was hesitant, and will now hold off, indefinitely :-) Mines not in bad shape actually so some cosmetic work on the wood probably can be completed without taking it apart.

Great to see that Steven has was you need, should work out perfectly!
    Still can't believe my luck!

No trading outside the commercial FS and WTD! So I'll list it there with the plate holders - with a "these are promised to someone!" this evening. Too much looking after the greenhouse and veges this afternoon. The back size is a fraction over 14.0cm in both directions. You will have to make the GG and two simple small strips of brass retainers are gone. Plate holders are fine with only one light leak I can see.

No front standard, I'm afraid. Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Very nice.

with apologies for mis-spelling your name Steven.