Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a Brake.

HazlewoodImages

I need a Brake.

Hello everyone. First time posting to this site and i'm certainly glad to have found it. Such a wealth of information and I think it's a terrific community.
    I'm currently restoring to working order an Eastman Kodak No.9 8x10 studio camera on a No.1 Semi Centennial stand pictured below. The problem i'm having is finding the brake assembly for the camera stand. Its for the platform rise and fall or up and down control. Would anyone know who would have a spare part? Is there anyone who has been in a similar situation and found a DIY solution that they'd like to share?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2795.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	146471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2793.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	146472

Re: I need a Brake.

as long as the shaft is removable, someone could easily machine that part from aluminum. I'd offer my services but it's way too cold in my shop right now.

It's hard to tell without seeing the broken off piece. It could be a simple bearing to hold the weight. That doesn't fit with a brake function though. If it was a brake there would be some friction or locking function that was there before it broke. A simple bearing cap with a centered set screw could work as a brake. The screw could be a thumb screw for manual operation without a tool.

It's actually a lever that has teeth that hold the gear when locked.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I have the same stand and there is nothing in the industry that I can find that is a bolt-up replacement.
    If I can move my wife's stuff away from mine, I will make a photo of the real thing.

HazlewoodImages

Here is what the brake looks like. It's a toggle type, spring and pin with a point that locks into the teeth of the gear. I can understand how something like this could be broken by an amateur. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century_6.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	146476 Image by Campbell Camera Collection

Quote Originally Posted by HazlewoodImages View Post
    Here is what the brake looks like. It's a toggle type, spring and pin with a point that locks into the teeth of the gear. I can understand how something like this could be broken by an amateur. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century_6.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	146476 Image by Campbell Camera Collection
    Outstanding! Now we have documentation. Good work!
    Whew, I don't have to move mine from the dining room corner.
    Seriously, many thanks for that.

HazlewoodImages

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    as long as the shaft is removable, someone could easily machine that part from aluminum. I'd offer my services but it's way too cold in my shop right now.
    I've heard that one could be machinable but it would have to be some sort of different design i think. How much does something like that cost?

HazlewoodImages

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    It's hard to tell without seeing the broken off piece. It could be a simple bearing to hold the weight. That doesn't fit with a brake function though. If it was a brake there would be some friction or locking function that was there before it broke. A simple bearing cap with a centered set screw could work as a brake. The screw could be a thumb screw for manual operation without a tool.
    I've considered the bearing cap with set screw option as well. I'd rather exhaust all other options like actually finding one before doing that though.

It looks like it's a bearing and a lock (brake). If you have the broken piece, then it could be used to make a mold for a new one. Can you post dimensions of the shaft, gear, and the broken piece in the photo?