Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Epson V800 - Epson Scan Vs Silverfast

Re: Epson V800 - Epson Scan Vs Silverfast

Alan,

This is a very nice family photo and you have made great progress removing dust particles with Silverfast. A proper drum scan will improve the shadow noise such as the hair of the person in the middle. It appears that the flatbed scanner struggled to distinguish between the dark hair against the lighter blue sky so it blended the two elements. This is where a drum scanner will surpass a flatbed scanner. The only drum scanners that are compatible with Silverfast is a Hell S3400 or Heidelberg Tango scanners, perhaps Aztek scanners but I don't have first hand experience with Howtek/Aztek scanners.

Howtek models are supported by Silverfast, at least the 4500. I use it all the time and have for years

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    Howtek models are supported by Silverfast, at least the 4500. I use it all the time and have for years
    Several of the Howtek scanners are supported by Silverfast, including the D4000, 4500, 6500 and 7500.

The only downside is that Silverfast is not supported for MAC OS later than Tiger 10.4.1, it only works in 32 bit, and individual file size is limited to either 2 GB or 30,000 pixels in one dimension. I personally operate the 7500 with Silverfast 6.6 HDR on a very late model MAC G4 running OS 10.3.9, with an Acard AEC-6712WM SCSI card.

I have heard of people using Silverfast with the Mac Pro with OS 10.6.8 and I would love to be able to get that working, but the Silverfast driver would still limit file size to 2 GB and/or 30,000 pixels.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thats really impressive work Alan, and thanks for sharing the before and after.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Several of the Howtek scanners are supported by Silverfast, including the D4000, 4500, 6500 and 7500.

The only downside is that Silverfast is not supported for MAC OS later than Tiger 10.4.1, it only works in 32 bit, and individual file size is limited to either 2 GB or 30,000 pixels in one dimension. I personally operate the 7500 with Silverfast 6.6 HDR on a very late model MAC G4 running OS 10.3.9, with an Acard AEC-6712WM SCSI card.

I have heard of people using Silverfast with the Mac Pro with OS 10.6.8 and I would love to be able to get that working, but the Silverfast driver would still limit file size to 2 GB and/or 30,000 pixels.

Sandy
    It also runs the HR8000, in Windows or Macs. The model number is listed as 5500. Not bad for $299. I recently purchased a license and works in both, the 4000 and the 4500.

Seem to recall some slide holders with V750 have different settings - either two or three heights, and you try different setting till you find the sharpness you like. Did this a few years ago, haven't looked at it since, so memory is foggy. And yes, in Epson software you have to dive in to zero out the settings, especially as it clips the highs and lows, and you have to reset the end points to keep all the info under the curve.

yes those are important considerations going in, setting up a system. SCSI adapters and/or PCI cards are important to investigate as well, getting rare or expensive. My 4500 is connected to an old G4 in the corner running Tiger, with an old PCI scsi card. It has not evolved since originally set up years ago, and does nothing but scan, when needed. It'll never change. So I'm also unaware of Silverfast and OSX version issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

Sandy

Just looking through these comments... am happy to see VueScan mentioned. If I can assist in anyway just let me know.. thanks :-)
    Best wishes,
    Beverley.

Director of Marketing
    VueScan - the world's most popular 3rd party scanning program.
    www.hamrick.com

Hi - just to give you some information about VueScan... VueScan assumes that the film is off the glass when it’s being scanned – this is true of all the Epson film holders so VueScan sets the focus position to “off the glass”.

On the glass scanning causes Newton rings – it’s not a good idea.

We could easily modify VueScan to let people set the focus position manually, but we don't think it would be very useful. But we are always open to any ideas and suggestions from our customers... :-)

Thank you :-)
    Beverley.

Director of Marketing - VueScan
    www.hamrick.com

Doesn't that only work when scanning in the high resolution area? 8 x 10 with film area guide would be on the glass.