Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Alternatives to Travelwide ? > Linhof Technica Handheld Realistic ?

Re: Alternatives to Travelwide ? > Linhof Technica Handheld Realistic ?

My recollection is that in the days of 35mm film cameras, a good bit of thought went into developing the techniques of holding a camera when doing hand held photography. Ways of wrapping the strap around the wrists, bracing the camera against tht the body/forehead etc, and bracing the body were all written about and employed by active workers in the field. Rules of thumb regarding focal length, film speed and shutter speed were worked out to maximize sharpness.

Sure, nothing beats a tripod. Yet shooting 4x5 handheld can be done. That is what drove the conversion of Polaroid 110 series cameras to 4x5 in the receint past for fashion and street photography.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

It's kind of silly to propose that hand held 4x5 can't shoot sharp images. Just look at virtually every news photo shot between 1910 and 1970 for counter examples. Look at Dorothea Lange's 4x5 Graflex FSA photos. Heck, there are thousands of examples on http://shorpy.com.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Flash does help. as does preset focus zone.

I think many news guys always used flash and preset focus in almost all conditions day or night.

I see it in old news reels.

Run up to the 7 foot mark and pop using the wire finder.

I am going to shoot TW X-Ray like that tonight. Look for it in X-Ray thread tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    It's kind of silly to propose that hand held 4x5 can't shoot sharp images. Just look at virtually every news photo shot between 1910 and 1970 for counter examples. Look at Dorothea Lange's 4x5 Graflex FSA photos. Heck, there are thousands of examples on http://shorpy.com.
    Of course it can be done. My argument is simply that medium format may end up being as sharp or sharper simply because it is easier to hold the camera steady then for some cameras like Crowns or Speeds. Also those 127 and 135 lenses were not the sharpest 4x5 lenses made. If I was shooting 4x5 handheld I think I would prefer using a Travelwide or converted Polaroid camera.

Well, I've been having trouble handholding the Travelwide 90 steady when using the included pinhole. Just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. (And paper negatives at ISO 6)

Another $0.02 worth:

1. While pinhole images are in focus from here-to-eternity, they are not tack sharp.

2. I don't think any sensitive medium rated equivalent to ISO-6 will look sharp hand held with any equipment. And paper negatives are not as inherently sharp as other mediums. Tis was true in the Daguerreotype days too.

3. The TW with only the pin hole mounted is very light. This lack of mass will allow any physical tremor from the shooter's body to show up on film. This is true in firearms target shooting where rifles intended only for competition are more massive than any rifle intended for the field. The same applies to photography to some extent.

I carry my TW-90 (90/6.8 Angulon) in a shoulder bag and it is quick to get into action, but always look for something to lean against or brace it on . . .even a walking-stick/monopod.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Another $0.02 worth:

1. While pinhole images are in focus from here-to-eternity, they are not tack sharp.

2. I don't think any sensitive medium rated equivalent to ISO-6 will look sharp hand held with any equipment. And paper negatives are not as inherently sharp as other mediums. Tis was true in the Daguerreotype days too.

3. The TW with only the pin hole mounted is very light. This lack of mass will allow any physical tremor from the shooter's body to show up on film. This is true in firearms target shooting where rifles intended only for competition are more massive than any rifle intended for the field. The same applies to photography to some extent.

I carry my TW-90 (90/6.8 Angulon) in a shoulder bag and it is quick to get into action, but always look for something to lean against or brace it on . . .even a walking-stick/monopod.
    My previous post was just a little (very little) joke Drew, of course I don't try handholding a TW90 with the pinhole. I really do shoot paper negatives though, with pinhole or a lens. Since I only contact print them the DOF and resolution requirements can be relaxed at bit.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Well, I've been having trouble handholding the Travelwide 90 steady when using the included pinhole. Just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. (And paper negatives at ISO 6)
    I was wondering if I was the only person that got the joke...

Neil

OK guys, a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man. Sorry to have taken this too seriously. Yet this forum does get seriously meant questions from inexperienced new comers from time to time, that are way-ff base.

I choose to work from the n0-stupid-questions manual to avoid alienating new-comers to LF photography.

I, myself have a history of problems with speed bumps—but I am slowly getting over them. Before that I was addicted to Hoky-Poky—but now I have turned myself around.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com