Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Azo?

Old School Wayne

Re: What is Azo?

I don't think Fomalux is available in the US anymore.

Hurry on the Fomalux, it appears to be going the way of Azo. Freestyle carried it in the US but I think the only size they have left is 16x20.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Ok, next I will try some sheets of Fomalux, so I may follow the way of Azo, a bit.
    Amidol is the next developer I wish to try, especially as a twobath developer combined with Lith and/or something like Dokumol (Rollei RHC)..

Thanks to all,
    Ritchie

Drew Wiley

Azo was once popular here on the W Coast. Wynn Bullock was an exceptional Azo contact printer. I personally prefer to contact print on modern premium VC papers like MGWT due to their greater toning flexibility. With a modern colorhead and reasonably fast enlarger lens, one could even enlarge onto Azo. It isn't
    THAT slow! But it's main appeal was for contact work. There are many amidol formulas. I find that most of them use more amidol than you really need. The bigger problem these days is finding decent amidol. The big batch that came in from China in recent years is contaminated with something (perhaps nickel) which creates a horrible orange stain that takes a long time to wash out, and that is hard to see through under a safelight. For awhile, Artcraft in NYC had some high quality British amidol for sale. I hope they still do!

AZO Urinary Pain Relief®

Get fast over-the-counter UTI Pain Relief with AZO.

UTI pain doesn’t feel like common pain. So don’t waste your time with common pain relievers. AZO Urinary Pain Relief relieves pain, burning and urgency fast. It is specially formulated to go directly to the site of the UTI discomfort and provides relief right where it hurts, unlike general pain relievers.
    - See more at: http://www.azoproducts.com/products/....u1Fsl8y9.dpuf

AZO Urinary, Vaginal and Bladder Health Products

AZO helps save the day with its complete line of urinary and vaginal products - See more at: http://www.azoproducts.com/products#....ie8zg4bC.dpuf

Be careful you don't get this Azo by mistake, it doesn't make good prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    AZO was a Kodak product. Slow graded contact printing paper. People talk about it because it has an excellent product.
    Better link for Lodima:
    http://lodima.org/photographic-paper/

Drew, I will buy the ready to use Amidol developer from Mr. Moersch at first.
    A formula with less Amidol because of it's higher price today. So he says...

What exactly is Azo meaning, is it just a name, or hides there some meaning behind the letters, or is it a shorten version of a longer word?

Meanwhile, there is a lot to read for me, links to Lodima, I may look at Wynn Bullock, and if I get some urinal pain, informations too...

Drew Wiley

I have no ideal what Azo means. It's one of those funny Kodak brand names that was around long before I was born. Maybe some old Kodak employee knows.
    Yes, there are various amidol kits you can buy prepackaged. But it is far more economical to mix up amidol from scratch if you intend to use it much. Traditional
    azo paper could go overtly bluish-black with some amidol formulas, which can be annoying. I don't know about Lodima. Classic azo prints by people like Wynn Bullock or Morley Baer tended to be a rich neutral black with a lot of tonality nuance due to both the particular qualities of this paper and contact printing itself.
    Amidol itself has pharmaceutical applications; but I've been told that photographers actually need a higher grade of purity!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    For awhile, Artcraft in NYC had some high quality British amidol for sale. I hope they still do!
    They do! It was out of stock for several months, but it's back in stock now; or, at least, last time I looked. I just stocked up recently because IMO the Chinese stuff is total crap!

OP

Look at TheLightFarm and search for "seawater" emulsion. It is not AZO but it is a simple Silver Chloride emulsion that seems very easy to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    They do! It was out of stock for several months, but it's back in stock now; or, at least, last time I looked. I just stocked up recently because IMO the Chinese stuff is total crap!
    It might be total crap, but the story behind it is fantastic.