Thread: Kalart Speed Flash synchroniser?

Kalart Speed Flash synchroniser?

Just wondering if these work with electronic flash, or just bulbs. If it is just bulbs, is it possible to adjust it for flash? (Looking to use flash with a few lenses in the future, which don't have a sync socket - still waiting responses from UK repairers, but so far no-one apparently is capable of modifying older shutters). The shutters are a Regno one, an Alphax, and an Ilex Universal, (not sure of the size but it would possibly be a 4 or a 5 - waiting on delivery to get an exact measurement to confirm size).

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Kalart Speed Flash synchroniser?

If the synchronizer is being used just to trip the shutter and the flash (bulb or strobe) is connected to flash terminal on the shutter (M for flash and X for strobe) then sure it can be used. All it provides in that scenario is an electric shutter release.

If the shutter has no X synch then the chances of getting the getting the synchronizer solenoid to work with a strobe is probably more work than its worth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flash.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	146050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flash.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	146050 It's this kind - the one that you screw the end into the cable release socket, with a bi-post connector on the box below the plunger for the cable release.
    None of the shutters have a physical socket for any kind of flash, so I was hoping that I could use this, as it looks that it should work. The only issue would be modifying it to trigger a microswitch to fire electronic flash. (Or confirming which speeds I can use on the shutter - probably 1/25 or slower).

I would try it.

You can also shoot 'Open Bulb', no shutter connection required.

Try it. Set the shutter for 1 second or faster and pop the strobe at the right moment.

Works for me.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Without X-synchronization capability in the shutter you are probably stuck with the Open Bulb technique that Randy mentioned, or a one-off modification of that (or another) shutter tripping device. Personally, I'd go with Randy's recommendation or get a x-synched shutter, or get an X-synched shutter.